Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

You remember my wife, Maria? 2013/10/5 09:56
In English, sometimes we try to politely remind someone of our friend or relative's name, in case they have forgotten, while at the same time allowing them to save face by agreeing, ''Yes, of course I remember. How are you, Maria?'' (Actually, it's a lot like Japan in this case, don't you think?)

So, how can I say this politely in Japanese? Somehow, I think, ''Boku no oku-san o oboetteru ne?'' sounds a little pushy. What is the most graceful way to express this thought?

Thanks very much for any shared insights!

Jakku
by Jakku (guest)  

Re: You remember my wife, Maria? 2013/10/5 12:32
Watashi(or Boku) no tsuma Maria wo oboete imasuka?
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: You remember my wife, Maria? 2013/10/5 12:38
It depends on how you want to go about it... you could say "I believe you met my wife, Maria, once?" to "You might not remember my wife, this is my wife Maria..."

- Ichido atta to omou kedo, tsuma no Maria desu. (I believe you met once, (but just to be sure) this is my wife, Maria.)
- Ichido atta yo ne, tsuma no Maria ni. (I believe you met my wife Maria once, right)
- Oboete nai ka na, tsuma no Maria desu. (You might not remember her, this is my wife Maria.)
- Oboete iru ka na, tsuma no Maria desu. (You might remember her, this is my wife Maria.)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: You remember my wife, Maria? 2013/10/5 15:16
Or...

Tsuma no Maria desu. (sort of to your friend) Mae ni atta yone? (sort of to your wife, but in front of your friend)

I never let people call me "oku-san" so I appreciate these reminders ;)
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: You remember my wife, Maria? 2013/10/5 21:03
Quite often happen. Japanese does not concern the name.

Tsuma no Maria desu. mae ni shoukai shita kamo shirenai keredo(mo),,,,.

It makes that friend's forgotten become your forgotten.

the rear half of the sentence is abbreviated.
shoukai shita kamo shirenai keredomo,(watashi ha wasureta node, mouichido shoukai shimasu).
She is my wife, Maria. I might introduced already.But I'm not sure. So, I introduce her again.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: You remember my wife, Maria? 2013/10/7 01:15
I think, ''Boku no oku-san o oboeteru ne?'' sounds a little pushy.

Yes.
As is suggested by ken, you had better behave as if it were you who is not sure whether the person knows your wife or not.
"Oku-san" is not a word for a lady in your family. (It sounds awkward to call your wife so.) This word can convey an image of a lady in a back room or an inner room of a house, which sometimes does not match the real lady referred to, but is often used commonly for a married lady without such implication.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: You remember my wife, Maria? 2013/10/7 23:55
Thank you so much for your valuable advice, minna-san! I learn so much from checking with all of you here.

Jakku
by Jakku (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread