Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

is this j-guy interested in me ,yes or? 2013/10/8 13:54
so this japanese guy came from japan to u.s.a and he came on this program.i met him on an international site and we talked or whatever but were the profile says what your looking for ,his profile says ''friendship and language exchange''.i founf out he was in my same city so i told him we should hang out some time before he leaves....he agreed and we went out to the movies.he has never complimented me on my appearance and the times i have complimented him he would just change the subject.

the night we went to the movies i thought it was a friendship thing because of this,but he paid for me even after he saw me pull my money out first..he asked me if i wanted anything to eat or drink i said no(because i didnt want to spend his money,even though i was really hungry) during the movie his elbow touched mine and i reacted with moving my elbow because i was nervous and i didnt know what 2 do :'( and after the movie it seemed like he still wanted to do something with me because i was going towards the street and he stopped and said ''what should we do now'' but it was late so i told him it was late.he agreed when i told him if we dont leave now the train will leave.

on the train i got off at his stop and we were talking for a bit when i thought it was getting more late so i said i should go and he agreed.he said he would message me ,i asked when? tonight or tomarow?he said''i think i will stay up late tonight :)'' i smiled and saif your so nice,even though i got home at 2am he was still up and he messaged me he was tired and was going to sleep.i said ok i went to sleep also..

more has hapened but we havent seen each other again,do you think hes interested in me?or does he have a gf or ??
by CorazonTovar (guest)  

Re: is this j-guy interested in me ,yes or? 2013/10/8 21:25
He isn't interested in you. Sorry.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: is this j-guy interested in me ,yes or? 2013/10/9 01:35
I am smiling when I read your post.
It seems to be a quite normal reaction of Japanese young person.

is this j-guy interested in me ,yes or?
YES.

If you like him, go go go.
He is just shy.

When dating, usually man pay everthing in Japan.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: is this j-guy interested in me ,yes or? 2013/10/9 03:41
CorazonTovar,

I had a similar experience like yours. I even posted about it here in Japan Guide.

Take a look at my thread, if you like:
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+93476
by mi camino (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: is this j-guy interested in me ,yes or? 2013/10/9 05:36
It's hard to tell since you only went out with him once.
But from what you described, he didn't really show any particular interest in you aside from being friendly to a new friend.

As for paying for you, it's just a movie and not some expensive fancy dinner so don't read too much into it.
It's normal for elbows to knock when sitting in a movie seat and as for him asking "what should we do now", it doesn't mean anything...he may not want to go home yet or didn't have any plans lined up etc.

Some of my male friends will text me after we went out or requested me to text them when I reached home to make sure I got home safely.
Those that are interested in me will text the same day to say "they had a nice time" or chat but not "I'm sleepy and going to sleep."
by Been there, done that (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: is this j-guy interested in me ,yes or? 2013/10/9 05:42
I think you should find out from him yourself. To be honest no one here can say he likes you or not besides that person.

Sometimes it could be just a freindly thing, it was like that between me and my freind. Nothing more, he has a girlfriend and I have a fiance. Better to find out from him than people you don't know.
by Gina (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: is this j-guy interested in me ,yes or? 2013/10/9 12:28
It is very interesting.
all posts except me seem to be foreiners, who all say No. But, I say YES.
Japanese guy, who came from Japan = he is not fluent in English speaking and listening. probably, he only understand your English at 10% or 20% at most 50%. Japanese who listen English, first try to translate into Japanese in mind, think the answer in Japanese, translate in Enlish, try to check English grammer(because, grammer of both language is complely differnet), finally start to speak Enlish. You, US girls, generally, speak faster. He is thinking, thinking, while you are inputting new words to his brain continuously. What will happen next ? You use idioms very frequently. It's hard to understand for Japanese sometimes. Japanese tries to translate English one word into Japanese one word. Then, word to word translated idioms does not make sense. he thinks "Oh, what she is saying" His brain is in Panic. He just says easy English word he knows,in response.
When you, all foreiners, make conversation with Japanese, Japanese say "Yes",many times. It does not mean "I agree with you". The actual situation of Japanese is "I am thinking, translating, please wait,,,. Oh,No. You speak next more,,,. I am now confusing,,,".
Another point: Japanese will not say "I like you or I love you", when watching face to face each other. In dating, Japanese is always thinking about your English, he tries to hide his poor understanding, and so he speaks to you without facing you.

he has never complimented me on my appearance = quite normal for Japanese
the times i have complimented him he would just change the subject = quite normal again

In Japan, someone says "You are handsome, so mart, and wise".
I must say "No.I am not. ".
If I say "Yes, I am. I am a man", this means "I am a foolish and ridiculous man.".
Don't you undestand ?

he paid for me,,asked me if i wanted anything to eat or drink = very normal

i said no = "you said No" means sometime 'I refuse you" in Japan.
his elbow touched mine and i reacted with moving my elbow = If you moved your elbow quickly, that sometimes means, in Japan, a refuse.

2AM = he needs some rest. That's all. No more than that point. When I was in US. I wa surprised. You are very strong. After 24-hrs waking up, you(or some of you) are still OK. I was totally exhosted. I slept in the meeting.

my conclusion. He is a Japanese.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: is this j-guy interested in me ,yes or? 2013/10/9 13:43
Hi

I agreed with you Ken, when i speak or write to my friend, i shoot so many questions and suddenly he said ..wait wait, he need to read it,translate it into Japanese, understand it then he can reply to me. From there i've learned that to have a better communication with him try to say so simple as i can and understand his situation. Everything worked well after that.

So CorazonTovar,

He maybe likes you, you just have to understand the situation like Ken said and make him comfortable with you.

Thanks
by maria (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: is this j-guy interested in me ,yes or? 2013/10/9 20:03
Ken,

Will you please read my thread in the link I sent above?

I had a similar situation with OP and I described it in detail.

Please read it carefully and tell me what you think.

Thank you in advance.
by mi camino (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: is this j-guy interested in me ,yes or? 2013/10/10 03:44
Ken,

Is there any reason why you think the Japanese guy is interested in her?
We provided reasons why she maybe thinking too much but you only explained that it maybe because he can't express himself well enough in English.

I have many Japanese friends (male and female) and when going out with them, some behaved just like the OP's Japanese friend.
Went out for a movie, guy paid for tickets, guy asked "what are we going to do now" after movie, took subway to the station near my place, talked for a while and then went home.

Of course we can't know exactly what the OP's friend is really thinking but are you saying you are right just because you are a Japanese guy or that all Japanese men act like that(I maybe wrong in this but that's how you sounded)?

After letting my boyfriend read thism he too thought that the OP's friend didn't seem particularly interested.
And my boyfriend is a Japanese man too.

Re: is this j-guy interested in me ,yes or? 2013/10/10 04:09
@Been there
You're ahead of me. I gave the link to my fiance to read he said the same thing. By the way he's Japanese also. Whether it's a guy or a women, he does that too. Texting or calling after hanging out is normal to make sure thay're safely home or see if they enjoyed the evening/day.

@ken
Yes, I'm a foreigner, but I did not say "yes" or "no" on whether he likes her in the way that she's thinking (sounds like she means it in a romantic way, I may be wrong). I think she should see for herself rather than ask strangers because we're not the guy.
by Gina (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: is this j-guy interested in me ,yes or? 2013/10/13 03:55
hello this is me i made the post..i have an

*****UPDATE*****

so since the movies we have been messaging everyday usually i message him first.but i am now used to this,i think he prefers i message him first i asked if i bug him and he said''no thats impossible i like recieving message from you,really'' then he put a smile face...he said if i was annoid i would just ignore you but that impossible'' so that happened and after that he invited me to coffe but he said''i would like to invite you to cofee or dinner but i think you are too busy for me'' and i told him i always had time for him but later he asked me what day am i free and i said friday and he said''i will see if i have time for us'' hahaha but yesterday he was the first to message me and we went to cofee and he brought up in conversation randomly'' in my dorm room we have strict rules to not bring visters etcbut he said he will move from his dorm in 1 month'' and then he told me randomly ''i have had 7 girlfriends and they never last a year,only months''and i dont know if this was him like trying to tell me something or i dont know but it seemed like it at the time because it was so random or maybe he just wanted me to know more about him...and yes ofcoarse he bought me cofee he asked me what i wanted and everything he did not even let me get in front of the cashier to pay he payed for me again hha and he invited me to go bowling with his friends and i accepted....when i go home he waits for me to get home and even if i take 3 hours to get home he will wait and ask me if i got home safely..i get home around 2 or 3am...not sure if that matters at all..he speaks english fairly well but alot of the time i have to repeat what i say because he says ''yes'' but he has a confused face and looks down.or he makes fun of the way i speak like if i said it too fast haha...he will go to new york in december with his friends i feel like my time is so limited..also we were talking about something and he said he was listening to the english radio to learn how native english speak and i said ''well thats why you have me''and he said''i am sad to hear you think this way'' ''and i told him i felt embbarassed and he asked me why and i said i dont want him to think i like him because i dont want to make things akward between us and i think he thought meant that he has me in a romantic way''he said ''oh i understand'' then after that we got into the convo about were it lead to him inviting me to cofee...

am i just messing things up for myself?i really like him and i feel like imdoing stupid things i cant say the right things
by CorazonTovar rate this post as useful

Re: is this j-guy interested in me ,yes or? 2013/10/13 04:42
I got it!
As long as he's a Japanese, you don't care how desperate, how much of a jerk he is and so on.
Why are you so desperate?
Can you be single till you meet someone who is meant for you? You should have a pride.
That's what I feel about you and otherwise, I have to say good luck to you!
by damedayo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: is this j-guy interested in me ,yes or? 2013/10/13 07:19
@ damedayo

That's a little harsh...maybe she just like him for him and it's a bonus for her that he's a Japanese?

@ CorazonTovar

Sounds like he's being mildly flirtatious. At least he doesn't dislike you.

Re: is this j-guy interested in me ,yes or? 2013/10/13 17:20
damedeyo

he is definitly no a jerk..he is far from it..he is very respectful and nice to me..i have never felt offended ..i have been single for 3 years and i dont mind being single...but he is the first guy 2 catch my interest in a very long time i am definatly not desperate that is for sure.
by CorazonTovar rate this post as useful

Re: is this j-guy interested in me ,yes or? 2013/10/23 21:28
OMG! I can't stop smiling while reading this post. Such sweet moments..gosh! Go girl, haha.

You know, if you think what you are doing are stupid and sometimes doesn't make sense. Then your in-LOVE, congrats! hehehe.
by tobiiDesu rate this post as useful

reply to this thread