Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is this symbol written correctly 2013/10/9 07:52
I'm looking for advice about Japanese Calligraphy. I don't know any Japanese but I drew this graphic and I am wondering if it reads as what it is supposed to mean.

http://tinypic.com/r/2442jia/5

I want it to read ''Panda''. Is it legible or should I change something to make it so? I appreciate all knowledgeable advice. Thanks
by Jan (guest)  

Re: Is this symbol written correctly 2013/10/9 13:20
Yes, it's a perfect "panda"! It's hard to believe it was written by someone who doesn't know Japanese.

But of course, it's only perfect in a pop way. It looks like something from an action manga, like someone shouting the word or a panda appearing sensationally or something.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is this symbol written correctly 2013/10/9 13:27
Thank you Uco, that's exactly what I hoped for. I'm really happy to learn that its not only legible but expressive as well.
by Jan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is this symbol written correctly 2013/10/9 13:45
I actually read it as "penda" when I first saw it because of the way the right half of the "he" is at a different angle and slightly elongated. Maybe it's just me though....
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Is this symbol written correctly 2013/10/9 14:02
I see what you mean Umami Dearest, thank you for pointing out. I will change the angle and length of the second stroke to counter this ambiguity.
by Jan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is this symbol written correctly 2013/10/9 15:10
Yes, it's great.
But as Umami Dearest said, also I felt strange a bit because maybe the left part of パ looks to be drawn from down to top, I think.
About ダ, shor bar is clearly drawn from down to top (and from right to left). It's funny.

If you want to write "correct" Japanese, that parts should be drawn from top to down (and from left to right).
But if you think it's your original Calligraphy that can be read "Panda", it's good enough, no problem.

See also: Kakijun (Japanese stroke order)
ハ: http://kakijun.jp/en/hk/k5a.html
タ: http://kakijun.jp/en/hk/k3a.html
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Is this symbol written correctly 2013/10/9 16:24
Actually, that's probably the main reason this looks pop, or in other words "unconventional."

I'm also guessing that the OP precisely copied a writing done by a native Japanese. That Japanese probably deliberately wrote the letters/word "roughly" so that it exposes the energy of the writer as opposed to discipline.

But the most pop aspect of this writing is the upper-right corner of the third letter "da." Traditionally, you shouldn't write it as pointy as that, but the whole writing makes you imagine something like a teenage boy with poor grades but lots of attitude.

If it were to be culturally interpreted, it's like an artistic graffiti, but not some poor spray painted wall nor something from The Louvre.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread