Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to write a good first message? 2013/10/14 17:47
Hi ! I'm wondering about what to write to someone (japanese) that i decided to contact here ? How do i introduce myself ? Should i use simple english sentences ? Because i get no reply from japanese people ... I don't know why , could you please tell me how to make a good first message ? And thanks :-)
by alaaj  

Re: How to write a good first message? 2013/10/15 13:29
So, I'm pretty sure I found your ad in the friends category.

First off, can you read or write Japanese at all? I'm assuming no. If you write some stuff in Japanese in your ad, I'm sure you will not only start getting replies, but also messages sent from them to you. However, if you can't read or write it, don't put anything(even if a speaker translates it for you). Also, absolutely do NOT use an online translator.

Are you messaging people your age? Because you are still relatively young, so I'd expect you not to get much luck with people that are 18+. I'd suggest you stick to messaging 17 and below UNLESS they message you first.

The Anime/Manga/Games thing coupled with the Mangaka and Video Game Developer thing probably is repelling a lot of people from you. I hate to say these things, as I myself love all of those things. I won't tell you to change them as you are who you are, and you shouldn't change that. However, I am merely telling you the truth in that there are Japanese people who will read that and think "OTAKU!!!", and not bother with you. Though there are ads from Japanese people who have these interests(some even self-proclaiming themselves as otaku, haha), so you can try messaging them.

As for your opening message, if you did everything right, you should be getting more people than you even want to talk to message you first, negating the need for this. If someone adds me on LINE and doesn't send a message, effectively forcing me to go first, I usually open with a simple greeting in both English and Japanese, so that I don't have to worry if they only speak Japanese. A lot of Japanese people on here speak some level of English, but there are some(from my own anecdotal experience, around 40%) that only speak Japanese. There are also a few ads from Japanese people in English that have used either an online translator or a friend to write for them, so don't always assume that they speak English just because their ad has English in it.

Finally, if you don't use LINE messenger, then get it. If you have a smartphone, download it on its respective app market. LINE is highly popular among Japanese people, and I'd bet you'd definitely get more messages sent to you if you have it. Once you get it, put your LINE userID into your ad so people can message you easily off of the website.
by CherryLemonLime rate this post as useful

Re: How to write a good first message? 2013/10/15 13:33
Oh, and if that wasn't your ad, then just disregard the things that mention that ad specifically.

Re: How to write a good first message? 2013/10/15 16:58
Oh ! Haha yeah :P i think it's mine !! But i don't like video games , just animes ! And i usually message people who are 17 or under ! I really thank you for your advice :) i'll see what i can do !! But i don't have a smartphone :/
by alaaj rate this post as useful

Re: How to write a good first message? 2013/10/16 14:19
No problem.

Also, you can always download LINE on your pc.

reply to this thread