Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese reading or blessing for wedding 2013/10/16 11:28
I'm about to gain a Japanese sister in law and I'd like to do a reading or blessing in Japanese at her wedding. Can anyone point me to one written preferably in romanji along with a translation? I've been doing a lot of searching online but have come up with very little. On the Martha Stewart website is the following noriko:

Bless them as unmoving and eternal
May their lives flourish like luxuriant trees.
May they, bride and groom, together with heaven and earth, with the sun and the
moon, continue to give out light and radiance.
Thus we do reverently pray.

But no matter how much I search I can't find the original text in romanji or even the name of it! So any help there would be great. Thanks so much.

by Hol (guest)  

Re: Japanese reading or blessing for wedding 2013/10/27 06:10
I also found this by Japanese poet Ryunosuke Satoro:
Title: "Where Art I Bound?"

He says to the Journeyman,
"Where art I bound?"

"Lift your leaden feet and walk
where your heart directs you,"
replies the Journeyman, "and
your gait will become light
and your heart more assured."

"But wait Journeyman, now I
must act for two and no
longer just one. What shall I do?"

To which the Journeyman
replies, "If you truly love,
give away your heart to make half
of a greater whole, and follow It
for the rest of your days."

I think this is wonderful but I can't find the Japanese original anywhere! Could anyone help please?
by Hol (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese reading or blessing for wedding 2013/10/31 02:14
Is there really no-one who can help me at all?

Re: Japanese reading or blessing for wedding 2013/10/31 17:55
動かないと永遠に彼らを祝福
自分たちの生活は豊かな木のように繁栄することがあります。
彼らは、花嫁と花婿、一緒に天と地とは、太陽と月と、光と輝きを与え続けることがあります。
そこで我々はうやうやしく祈るん。

Ugokanai to eien ni karera o shukufuku
Jibun-tachi no seikatsu wa yutakana ki no yō ni han'ei suru koto ga arimasu. Karera wa, hanayome to hanamuko, issho ni tentochito wa, taiyō to tsuki to, hikari to kagayaki o atae tsudzukeru koto ga arimasu.
Sokode wareware wa uyauyashiku inorun.

Bless them as unmoving and eternal
May their lives flourish like luxuriant trees.
May they, bride and groom, together with heaven and earth, with the sun and the
moon, continue to give out light and radiance.
Thus we do reverently pray.
by keep calm and drink beer (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese reading or blessing for wedding 2013/11/1 15:18
Hol,

You are saying that the poem in your original post is originally Japanese and that you'd like to find the original Japanese poem, is this correct?

Could you perhaps at least give us the link of the page where the poem is posted on the web? Are there any clues about the original author? What do you mean by "noriko"?

The Japanese posted by keep calm and drink beer doesn't make sense, by the way.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese reading or blessing for wedding 2013/11/1 15:29
Hol,

Oh, wait, I see what you mean. It's a norito (not noriko) which is a shinto religious blessing.

Well, not many Japanese people are familiar with the words of norito and they're all very ancient so we usually don't understand what they mean even as the priest chants them. Most of us even get excited just by spotting out just one word we can comprehend.

If that's still alright with you, I hope someone can help you. There are many wedding norito and I couldn't easily find the appropriate one.

By the way, doesn't the bride have a Japanese friend or relative coming along? It might be better to write a simple and original letter yourself and have it translated by them. It would be more family-like and warm even if there are any mistakes. I'm not sure if you'd really want help from anonymous strangers on the internet like me.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese reading or blessing for wedding 2013/11/1 20:27
Thanks Uco. By what you say I guess a norito wouldn't be a good idea.
There won't be any japanese relatives at the ceremony - it's just a small registry office thing in the uk, I'm the only one in the family that has some japanese language skills, so that's why I want to make the effort for her. I'm folding 1000 cranes but I thought it'd be nice to say something in japanese too.
Do you have any suggestions?

Re: Japanese reading or blessing for wedding 2013/11/1 21:12
If you have some japanese language skills, do try and say something in Japanese yourself, from scratch. Again, that would be the warmest thing to do. Hey, we don't even know you guys :)
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread