Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Good DSLR lens for traveling? 2013/10/19 11:15
I currently have the Nikon D5200, with just a 50mm lens. I'm visiting Japan for the first time in mid-December, and have been thinking about getting another lens before going.

Since it's near the holidays, there will most likely be more people about, so I know changing lenses in between may not be practical, along with other factors like not being able to freely move to retake a shot, especially with a 50mm lens.

Anyone have any experience with this, or suggestions?
by fukuro (guest)  

Re: Good DSLR lens for traveling? 2013/10/19 15:04
50mm is rather tight on a crop camera, I'd bring a standard zoom, 17-50 in that region.
by reprazent rate this post as useful

Re: Good DSLR lens for traveling? 2013/10/19 21:19
I only take my 18-55 with me in a toploader bag to save on space, rather than taking my full kit with me. It's easier not to need to change lenses too. That lens gives a great range.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Good DSLR lens for traveling? 2013/10/19 22:37
I've been to Japan 3 times, once with only an SLR (Nikon F100) and twice with DSLRs (D200, D3).

In my experience, even in crowded areas, there is no problem changing lenses.

I never took just one lens - my light package was the 80-200 f/2.8, 17-35 f/2.8, flash (SB-800), and the equivalent of your 50 mm.

If you had to use just one additional lens, I would suggest the 18-200 f/3.3-5.6 VR lens. I agree with the above people that 50 mm on a cropped body is a tough choice...

Good luck!
by photography in Japan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Good DSLR lens for traveling? 2013/10/20 00:07
I used a D800 with a 14-24, 24-70 & 70-200 on my trip to Japan in April. I had no problem with all the gear and changing lenses wasn't an issue either. Bring as many lenses as you need and/or can carry :D
by Toro (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Good DSLR lens for traveling? 2013/10/20 04:53
If taking photos is your main goal (ie phototrip/safari kind of thing) then yes, I would bring a huge range of lenses and tripod.

But in general when travelling, less is more. A standard zoom is more than enough to cover your needs.

It's no fun lugging around a large bag or backpack full of gear while out shopping or sightseeing all day. On my first trip the only day I really enjoyed myself was when I left all my gear at the hotel and went out with a tiny S95 (point n shoot) I now understand why people are prefering smallish cameras these days. In fact the only people I saw using big bulky DSLRs were us, gaijin tourists hehe.

Re: Good DSLR lens for traveling? 2013/10/20 06:47
I just came back from Japan last month... And I would have to say it depends what you are going to be doing and the weather. It was soooo hot and humid when I went that I pretty much abandoned my DSLR.

When traveling for vacation, I typically just carry a single 18-200 VR lens, a S400 flash, and a Nikon S300 point and shoot. The S300 has some manual capabilities plus f1.8 for low light. Sometimes I carry a waterproof camera of some type, recently a GoPro. I use to carry more lenses plus S800 flash, but it started feeling like work and not a vacation.

I carried my DSLR only half this trip since I realized I wasn't enjoying myself from carrying so much in addition to souvenir shopping. So second half of trip I just used the point and shoot and enjoyed myself so much more and still got good shots.

I intend to visit again, but during cooler weather so I can shoot more with DSLR without it feeling like a chore.
by SBxJap rate this post as useful

Re: Good DSLR lens for traveling? 2013/10/20 08:27
My main motivation for taking 1 lens is the bulk/weight. The toploader bag fits nicely into the large shoulder bag I carry around, and I have the added option of carrying it separately for quick access.
The only bulk I add is that of a travel tripod. Light, yes, but yet another thing to lug around all day. Had we taken one the first trip it wouldn't have taken an hour to get a long exposure photo of the torii at Miyajima, using the stone lanterns to steady the camera.... Mind you, on the other 3 trips the tripod still sits as a backup for us because it does add time to our often fast-paced days.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Good DSLR lens for traveling? 2013/10/20 08:29
I went to a 5 week trip on August, I brought my D7000 and a Nikon 18-200 VRII and a SB600 flash. Enough for me.
by Gnaiyim rate this post as useful

Re: Good DSLR lens for traveling? 2013/10/20 13:51
Exactly my thoughts, SBxJap

I was in tokyo earlier in July? 36C is no fun, let alone having to carry your gear around and actually bringing your cam out to take pictures? I left my camera at the hotel the during entire trip. Only went out the last evening for a walk, that's it. But I've been to Tokyo so many times, I don't even feel the need taking pictures now. Heck, I don't even feel like a tourist anymore ;)

Re: Good DSLR lens for traveling? 2013/10/20 17:06
bet you look like a tourist though...... figjam
by jops (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Good DSLR lens for traveling? 2013/10/21 11:30
If you are shooting with a nikon 5200 and want a one lens solution then you should take a look at the 16-85mm. Its a competent dx less with a good range for travel shooters that goes from just wide enough to just zoomed enough for most travel shots. I also would recommend the 18-200mm if you want more zoom, but I personally find the extra 2mm on the wide end to be more useful.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Good DSLR lens for traveling? 2013/10/21 23:43
I'd bring 2 lenses; One 18-105 (or 200, but I don't use more than 100 any often), and another 10-20, 11-18 or similar for special wide angle shots; so you have all situations covered.
by aerond (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Good DSLR lens for traveling? 2013/10/22 08:16
I'd still take the 50mm for low light situations, as it's light and easy to carry.

Since it's your first time in Japan, you will be taking lots of photos, and probably want a lot of flexibility with the other lens you buy.
So the first thing to ask yourself: What is your budget?

The other thing when selecting a lens is your camera. It's a Nikon D5200, and that means it has no internal focus motor, so the lens must be a newer lens with internal focus motor. Make sure you ask about that when you buy your lens.

While a wide range lens(e.g. 18-135mm, 18-200mm, etc) is convenient, you have to balance convenience vs cost vs wide range zoom vs image quality.
The Nikkor 18-200mm is good for what it is, but it is not superior to a standard 2 lens kit (Nikon 18-55mm VRm, & 55-200mm VR), in terms of image quality.

One newer lens to consider is the NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR.
It's a good blend of zoom range, size and image quality.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Good DSLR lens for traveling? 2013/10/23 14:17
Sandy has a great point that the kit lenses (18-55 and 55-200) are highly competent lenses. I'd strongly consider just bringing those if you have them already and don't mind switching lenses all the time. However if you don't own them, they may not be worth purchasing new as there are a lot of good one lens solutions to consider that cover a good travel range:

18-105 (considerably cheaper than the others)
18-135 (skip it for the newer 18-140 which also adds VR for the same price)

18-140 (newest)
16-85 (widest, but 85 may be limiting)
18-200 (good, but the long end leaves something to be desired)
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Good DSLR lens for traveling? 2013/10/28 10:47
i recommend the 17-70 by tamron. there are two versions. one is a variable speed f2.8-4.0

the other is a straight f2.8

this lens is fantastic because it also has macro shooting ability in addition to the 70mm zoom.

the variable speed lens is very cheap, around 30,000yen new or half that used if you search around. the fixed f2.8 lens is a really fantastic lens if you can afford it.

both lenses are a little big but smaller than the 18-200 zooms out there.
by winterwolf (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Good DSLR lens for traveling? 2013/10/28 10:50
my mistake, the lens is a sigma not tamron.

one more point for the 17-70 lens - you won't have to switch lenses all the time. 70mm is usually enough zoom for general purposes. the background starts to separate at that focal length so your photos have that telephoto lens look.

with the typical 18-55 lenses you have to switch to your 55-200 often, inconvenient and dust gets into the camera and shows up whenever you take a photo beyond f5.6. doesn't sound like a big problem but japan's skies are a vivid, bright blue all winter and any dust on your sensor will show up in every photo you take in winter here.
by winterwolf (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread