Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Face muscles sore after speaking japanese? 2013/10/22 12:13
Does anyone elses face muscles become sore after speaking japanese for long periods of time? Especially your cheek muscles?
by happaUS  

Re: Face muscles sore after speaking japanese? 2013/10/22 15:25
Nope, not at all. My face muscle get sore when I talk too much period :D Maybe you put too much stress into speaking it.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Face muscles sore after speaking japanese? 2013/10/22 20:20
You were probably trying to imitate the way some Japanese people speak, which puts a strain on your voice and facial expressions.
Try speaking Japanese with your natural voice.
by lilly (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Face muscles sore after speaking japanese? 2013/10/22 21:55
They don't actually "sore" but we do use different muscles for different languages.

For example, after a long period of time of not speaking English but only Japanese, I can't pronounce English properly, and vice versa.

I do face excercise every day, to keep my profile handsome and to make it smoother for me to talk. Since I'm a Japanese living in Japan, I usually excersize by stretching my mouth in the form of a-e-i-o-e-o-a-o in Japanese style, but when I know I need to speak a lot of English on a certain day, I switch it to English words. Either way, my cheeks hurt just a little bit afterwards.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Face muscles sore after speaking japanese? 2013/10/22 23:28
do you think your face shape changes after speaking japanese for a long time, for instance 2-4 years? I am use to speaking english everyday.
by happaUS rate this post as useful

Re: Face muscles sore after speaking japanese? 2013/10/23 03:06
Hmm i don't think it change the shape of our face. But it does change the way I talk. I don't open my mouth as wide as when I speak English :0
by sarah (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Face muscles sore after speaking japanese? 2013/10/23 14:23
hahaha i see
by happaUS rate this post as useful

Re: Face muscles sore after speaking japanese? 2013/10/23 14:44
do you think your face shape changes after speaking japanese for a long time, for instance 2-4 years?

I don't think it's the years that count, but, regardless the race, I think you can tell the difference between a Japanese speaker and an English speaker just by looking at his/her face, although the difference is very subtle and also it may not apply to everyone. I also think that this tendency applies to all languages.

I think it's not only because of the language itself, but because as you become fluent in the language your expressions or habits change to those of that culture. That is why I mentioned that it's not the years, because there are many adults who keep speaking Japanese in their native accent (ie. Americans speaking Japanese in American accents) and native culture style.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread