Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best way to exchange JPY to USD? 2013/10/24 00:43
Hello. I am looking to exchange a total of about 200,000 JPY to USD.

Does anyone have a good way to do this? A response by someone with experience in actually doing or researching this would be greatly appreciated.

By "good way" I mean the method that would result in the cheapest (preferably with zero fees) and best exchange rate combination I can get. In other words, getting the most I possibly can out of the exchange.

The best method I have read so far suggested that money orders be used. I would cash them at a post office in the US and there would be no fees. However, I am not sure about this as the post was pretty vague with its information and was the only post that mentioned something other than the 1000 repetitive responses.

Does anyone have any personal experiences in getting good results from exchanging JPY to USD?
by Miruku T  

Re: Best way to exchange JPY to USD? 2013/10/24 11:47
The best method I have read so far suggested that money orders be used. I would cash them at a post office in the US and there would be no fees. However, I am not sure about this as the post was pretty vague with its information and was the only post that mentioned something other than the 1000 repetitive responses.

Yes, one of the cheapest ways for you will be to get international postal money orders at the Japanese Post Office and then exchange them at a US Post Office or deposit them into a US account. The fees aren't zero (they are never zero), but it comes out to be just a few percent (and roughly a percent or two cheaper than other methods).
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Best way to exchange JPY to USD? 2013/10/24 12:15
You'll get a better rate in Japan than you will in the US, but if you are in the US, then the money orders are a decent way to go.
http://traveljapanblog.com/wordpress/2010/07/changing-yen-into-dollars...
by rpcman (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread