Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese Business E-mail 2013/10/26 12:23
Hello,

currently I have to talk with Japanese Companys via E-mail, we use English.
ILm wondering if there are some kind of words like "Dear ...." or "Best regards ..." in Japanese I can use in an English E-mail to make it look more honorable for the Japanese ?
by Uriziel  

Re: Japanese Business E-mail 2013/10/27 00:05
To make it look more "honorable" for the Japanese, but in an English email? If it's the first time you are sending an email to them, you should stick to proper business-style English. That would sound most "business-like."

If you find that things are going well enough to call the other party by his/her first name, then you may want to put -san at the end of the other party's name. (example: Uco-san)

Note that unlike the English Mr./Ms., never put -san on your own name.(Don't call yourself Uriziel-san)

There are other phrases like "yoroshiku onegai shimasu" which is a bit like "best regards," but since it's not exactly the same thing, you may want to avoid using it until you really know the nuance of the phrase.

So far, I've received a lot of business emails starting with "-san" but hardly any that end with Japanese phrases. You don't want to confuse anyone by making mistakes, especially when talking business.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread