Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Earthquake shaker after shocks oct 26.2013 2013/10/26 12:39
I am going to east Japan in November. I am getting a bit scared of the earthquake. Do you usually get a series of after shocks after this oct 26 tremor?
What do I do if there is an earthquake?

Huhuhu.
by Gigi (guest)  

Re: Earthquake shaker after shocks oct 26.2013 2013/10/26 13:35
Do you usually get a series of after shocks after this oct 26 tremor?

I think the October 26 termor was an after shock of the 3.11 earthquake itself. And yes, major tremors are always followed by after shocks. There have been several of them in the past hours already. None of them, including the main tremor, caused any damage.

Keep calm and protect your body from falling objects.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Earthquake shaker after shocks oct 26.2013 2013/10/27 00:34
By the way, if you're talking about the tremor that happened off shore in Fukushima Pref. at 2:10am on the 26th, it wasn't big at all and caused no serious damage. It was a bit long though, so it was nice to have someone to talk to for a minute if you weren't asleep.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Earthquake shaker after shocks oct 26.2013 2013/10/28 10:43
i don't agree that it was minor - it was over magnitude 7 which is regarded as a large earthquake everywhere in the world, even if there was no damage.

there will definitely be aftershocks from it in the following weeks.

if you're staying in a house make sure that your bed is not located under any large furniture like a television or book shelf. if you can, buy furniture stoppers that fit between the top of the furniture and the ceiling - these will stop bookshelves from toppling over if the shaking gets strong.
by winterwolf (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Earthquake shaker after shocks oct 26.2013 2013/10/28 14:58

You had better keep away from sea and a mouth of a big river if it might cause tsunami, for example if tremors last long (e.g. for 30 seconds) or they are big (e.g. enough to shake down a magazine from a bookshelf).

Presumably because we were away from its hypocenter, the earthquake before dawn of 26 October 2013 did not make us feel big tremors. But, the long-lasting tremors told me it might cause tsunami, and it actually did. (The waves were at low levels by chance.)

Hotels and inns in Japan with a large capacity for guests are legally obliged to secure at least two evacuation routes. I recommend you would walk from your room in accordance with the evacuation routes, which are indicated in a signboard on the door, in a pamphlet on a desk or so.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Earthquake shaker after shocks oct 26.2013 2013/10/28 19:22
I'm sorry if my post was misleading in any way. I meant that it wasn't big onshore. Actually, there was a similar tremor 2 days before 3.11, so precausions are always advised especially for tonight.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Earthquake shaker after shocks oct 26.2013 2013/11/16 23:46
If you have earthquakes in Japan, I will write about the evacuation tips which Japanese kids learn at school.

1, Don't panic. Be calm.(3 keying idea is "no scream, no rush, no push") This is very important and people tend to forget.

2, Before evacuating under the desk or table, open at least one window or door to preserve the space to get out of the building because sometimes doors or windows would not open after shake stops and you will be locked inside the building until somebody come and rescue you. If you can stop gas and electricity, it is much better to reduce risk of fire hazard.

3, Evacuate under the desk or table to protect your head.

4, As soon as shake stops, you have to wear something which protect your head... such as helmet or something cushion, then get out of the building. Go to broad space which is not surrounded by any fragile stuff... ideal place is like stadium, sports ground or local school's ground.

5, Each community has evacuate camp which community government will make as soon as earthquake stops for local people, people who can not go home, and people who need support&help... Most of the camp is built in the open space or public building like local school. People must go to their local evacuate camp, you can follow them.

No6 is only for foreigners I can suggest.

6, After you confirm your safety at camp and no earthquake in your area, go to your embassy to ask help.
by Mina (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Earthquake shaker after shocks oct 26.2013 2013/11/16 23:54
Sorry about that my previous comment does not say "Evacuation tips for big earthquake" If earthquake are big as such buildings fall down or whole city is destroyed, you have to follow all of them.... but it is not so big.... like just messed up your room, then the local evacuation camp will not be built, so you do not have to get out of the building to evacuate.... Anyway....hm....usually we have around M5 or M6 level of the earthquake.... but like 3.11 2011 is quite rare....
by Mina (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread