Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Olive Oil? 2013/10/28 05:03
Hi,

I was wondering what is the perception of Olive Oil in Japan and how do people in Japan use it?

I am visiting a friend in Japan and would like to bring some specialty from California. Have given things like wine, chocolate, coffee, etc. before so would like to give something different this time. I've read it's becoming more known and popular in Japan, but my mother who lived in Japan many years ago (but not anymore) perceives it as cheap.

As you may know, some of the specialty Olive oil produced here in California are not cheap in price and some flavors are quite unique. Any thoughts on whether this would be a good gift or not?

Much thanks!
by sg (guest)  

Re: Olive Oil? 2013/10/28 09:39
Your mother "perceives it as cheap"? On the contrary! The common oil here in Japan is what we call "salad oil" and is usually made from canola. Olive oil, on the other hand, is perceived as something fancy and special.

Nowadays, it's commonly used for Italian cuisine such as pasta which is an everyday dish here. I think a lot of Japanese people may have the impression that olive oil is only for European cuisine, though. I use it for everything including (the common) Chinese and other Asian cuisine, so you may want to note that as an extra tip when giving them as gifts.

Gourmets (with women in their 30s and 40s on top of the list) even tend to hunt for the best olive oils. Since Californian brands aren't common, it would be a treat to try!
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Olive Oil? 2013/10/30 08:58
I think the fact that it's a local specialty of your area makes it easy to appreciate. You can explain that the olive oil from your area is very famous in your country and considered to be top quality. Japanese always like that and there are famous olive areas of Japan, such as Ushimado and Shodoshima. The olive oil cookies and potato chips and other foods are very popular gifts from these places.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Olive Oil? 2013/11/1 11:50
Like the others have mentioned, olive oil is extremely common in Japan, with pretty much the same perception and market as you'll find in California (I'm from norcal). As a specialty oil, it is not cheap and tends to be a little higher priced than regular cooking oils (canola, corn, etc). You'll find many of the same brands at similar prices in Japan as you would in your local Safeway or Ralphs.

I think a bottle of local olive oil makes for a great omiyage and should be well received. In fact, I think I'm gonna use your idea on my next trip to the states this December as I've also run through most of the typical norcal foodstuffs (ghiradelli chocolate, sees candies, napa wine, peets coffee, etc).
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Olive Oil? 2013/11/1 13:38
Thanks everyone for the feedback! I am glad to have asked you guys here :) Bought two bottles and hope they like it. Will reply back here once I have given it to them.
by sg (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread