Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Help reading low-res kanji, couple usage ?s 2013/10/31 06:44
a) I'm afraid I can't read the first kanji in the image below. Any guesses? (It's at low resolution.)

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae137/indigozeal/kanji.jpg

b) A young boy is arguing with his older sister about her school, where she's been struggling.

「バカはおねえさんだろ! キャラじゃねえ。」 - whereupon he yells at her for failures in class.

I can read the "_you're_ the idiot" part, but I'm having trouble with the use of "kyara" here. I know it in its sense of "character," and Wikipedia is saying that it's used in the sense of "type of person" in certain circumstances. I don't know what the brother means by using it here, though, unless he's telling his sister that she's not a character in an animated program or something. (Or perhaps not the right type for the school?)

3) The girl above is trying to find a club to join at her school. She expresses an interest in comedy, and her friends suggest she found a club. The girl refuses: 「冗談で流してほしかったのに...」

I'm familiar with both "joudan" and "nagasu" separately, of course, but I'm unfamiliar with the expression "joudan de nagasu." I know "nagasu" can be used to mean "to broadcast," and some examples on Google seem to use it as "to offer something as a joke," but that doesn't seem to fit in this context.

Thank you for any assistance.
by Blenheim (guest)  

Re: Help reading low-res kanji, couple usage ?s 2013/10/31 17:10
a) 粛々と授業を進め

b) When the word "character" is shortened and used as a Japanese word "kyara" in Japanese, it is often meant as a certain role you play - it may not be your true self, but among buddies in school, for example, one is the joker, who always makes other laugh, one is the dumb one, who fails constantly thus ends us reassuring others that they aren't that dumb, one may be of leader character, etc. So here I guess he is saying "Stupid is you yourself, sister! It's not a character you are playing!"
or
"You are the idiot, it's not like you (the type of role you'd play)!"

3) "joudan de nagasu" or "joudan to shite nagasu" to be precise, means "to let go (something) as a joke." So here she is saying that "Oh I wish you'd simply have let go (of my playful idea of joining comedy club) simply as joke, (and not gone ahead to actualy FIND a club)."
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Help reading low-res kanji, couple usage ?s 2013/10/31 21:09
Thanks very much; I appreciate it.
by Blenheim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Help reading low-res kanji, couple usage ?s 2013/11/4 00:42
I’m Japanese.
a) we say the 粛々と授業を進め as shuku shuku to jyugyou wo susume. But this phrase won’t give correct meaning in Japanese to anyone. If it were 粛々と授業を進めよ the phrase is meaning as “Please complete the class without making a fuss.”

c) 「冗談で流してほしかったのに...」may be written as precisely 「冗談で聞き流してほしかったのに...」. So 「聞き流す」means “pretend to listen”. In this situation she wants to let her mentions pass.
by xixii rate this post as useful

reply to this thread