Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to say: I want to live? 2013/10/31 22:32
For example, "I want to live in Japan".
I know about the verb that says where you live (e.g "I live in America" is "アメリカに住んでいる"), but how would you say "I want to"? Is it something like "suntai"? Thanks in advance!
by Brittany C  

Re: How to say: I want to live? 2013/11/1 10:13
The verb for "to live" is "sumu" (in its dictionary form) and "sumimasu" (in its "masu" form). To say "I want to..." you add the "-tai" helping verb (with a bit of vowel change at times).

For "sumu/sumimasu," it would be "sumitai" (informal speech) or "sumitai desu" (polite speech).

So "I want to live in Japan" would be "Nihon ni sumitai" or "Nihon ni sumitai desu."
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: How to say: I want to live? 2013/11/1 19:53
I actually found out after posting this question, but thanks for answering anyway!
by Brittany C (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to say: I want to live? 2013/11/2 12:00
Sorry to chime in.

AK, how about 暮らすしたい? Does it also mean "I want to live"?
Is 暮らす used in a different context from 住みます?
Thank you in advance.
by lilly (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to say: I want to live? 2013/11/2 12:54
If you want to use the verb "kurasu/kurashimasu," it would be "kurashitai (desu)." There are rules for conjugation (how the main verb connects with the "-tai" part). You need to look at the "masu" form for that.

While "sumu/sumimasu" is simply to "reside (in a location)," "kurasu/kurashimasu" is more of "make a living, engage in day-to-day activities."
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread