Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Convenience store boxed lunch healthy? 2013/11/3 03:00
Heyo,
I have been thinking during my latest Japan trips about the boxed lunch / dinner that are sold at convenience stores like FamilyMart, Lawson, AMPM, 7-11 for around 400-600 yen. How healthy are these foods compared to eating out? The thing about warming them up too (not the boxes with sushi of course), how healthy is that since the food being in plastic boxes?

Over here there are always discussions about keeping and heating up food contained in plastic boxes since there are ftalates / phtalates being spread from the plastic to the food during the heating process.

And in Japan I see practically everything being contained or wrapped in plastic. Since being such a big use of plastics in Japan I guess the thing of bad chemicals in the plastics are considered, or are they?
by Jojo (guest)  

Re: Convenience store boxed lunch healthy? 2013/11/4 12:41
Convenience store boxed lunch healthy?

No. A lot of people consider them only as healthy as McDonalds.

How healthy are these foods compared to eating out?

It depends on where you eat out. A lot of eat-outs are only as healthy as McDonalds while there are also more health-conscious places.

Bento boxes are also available at health food stores such as F&F, Kodawariya etc. You can see from the ingredients note (which is in Japanese language) that they are much much healthier. But still, a lot of them are in plastic containers, so it depends on what you think about that. Of course, you always have the option of eating them cold (just as most locals did before microwave was invented) or bringing them back to your room to replace it in your own plates and have it warmed up.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Convenience store boxed lunch healthy? 2013/11/4 15:11
it depends on the definition of healthy. this is ambiguous, and just the feelings.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Convenience store boxed lunch healthy? 2013/11/5 03:12
by nnp (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Convenience store boxed lunch healthy? 2013/11/5 13:54
I saw a program on TV about how there are quite a few preservatives used in the some of the conbini bento. But that probably isn't that much of a concern for travellers since you'll have such a small exposure. I would be even less concerned about the plastic containers unless that is something that you already generally try to avoid.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread