Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Using a kotatsu without a converter 2013/11/25 01:40
If i keep the heater at its lowest setting can i use a kotatsu without a transformer? Could it damage the appliance in any way?

(i confess ive been doing this all day and so far so its worked beautifully)
by Odie (guest)  

Re: Using a kotatsu without a converter 2013/11/25 13:54
It depends where. If its in a country with reasonably close electrical specs then it might be ok, but there may be an increased risk of fire.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Using a kotatsu without a converter 2013/11/25 13:58
We live in the u.s.
...We keep it low and it doesn't get hot enough to start a fire, unless the fire would start in the outlet? I don't know much about voltage and eclectricity... I suppose if it cathes fire my question will be answered
by Odie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using a kotatsu without a converter 2013/11/25 15:04
If it catches fire you could damage your home and pretty badly, and hurt yourself too!

The least you can do is ask someone that knows about electric devices to check the kotatsu for compatibility with your home electrical wiring.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using a kotatsu without a converter 2013/11/25 15:20
The issue is that the kotatsu will draw about 20% more current in the US than Japan. That may or may not be significant depending on the kotatsu, but your breaker should probably provide you with protection.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Using a kotatsu without a converter 2013/11/27 07:23
Yeah, it's been working just fine on low. Nice and toasty no problems. We keep an eye in it of course and we don't leave it on if we aren't using it and it's just a neat little piece of furniture. I've hardly left it these past two days
by Odie (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread