Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan's history seen in everyday life? 2013/11/27 04:06
I keep reading about Japan's history being intertwined into everyday life. Even in extremely modern places like Tokyo, you can still see bits and pieces of Japan's history and traditions.

...but how? I do not mean any offense. I am new to learning about Japan and when I first saw Tokyo I just saw an extremely modern city.

Can anyone gives examples of how Japan's history is still alive despite being so modern?
by Benedict (guest)  

Re: Japan's history seen in everyday life? 2013/11/27 10:16
Tokyo's history is not so extensive compared to other parts of the country, but remnants of the past do exist.

There are a lot of small monuments, signs, and markers of places throughout the city. Some only note what was formerly there, but others do point to remnmants (although generally very small). If you are not looking for them, they are easy to miss. There are walking guide books and pamphlets of Tokyo districts made precisely for people who want to get a closer look at Tokyo and discover such places.

Of course, there are also larger historic spots, such as temples, shrines, gardens, etc that have history and are popular for visiting.
by Vac (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan's history seen in everyday life? 2013/11/27 13:22
"Intertwined into everyday life"? I suppose you (or whoever you heard it from) are refering to things like people following superstitions, or people using traditional "furoshiki" wrapping cloths for bags and covers, or kids buying shrine charms just for luck on their coming exams... things like that.

I think you can see similar things to a certain extent in any country, even in the newest and high-tech nations like the U.S., but I suppose the Japanese love to emphasize that just to be proud of what they are blessed with.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan's history seen in everyday life? 2013/11/27 13:37
Another example would be people in the train going to work on a regular day, not a festival or holiday, wearing traditional clothes.
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan's history seen in everyday life? 2013/11/28 08:03
I live in a very urban area of Tokyo, but you can see lots of small and sometimes very old shrines, temples and jizo statues down side streets in this area. There all kinds of things like this which show you a bit of Tokyo's history if you look around.
by peg+cat (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan's history seen in everyday life? 2013/11/28 15:00
Eating Sushi and Soba(shops) also traditional before Edo period starts(over 400 years ago).
Also mochi,manju,senbei,Yaki-imo and more traditional food a lot.

"Tokyo" history mainly starts Edo period.
So Edo periods histolical naming place(address/road/bridge),shops,items,words and more a lot.
"Kokyo(Tokyo Imperial Palace)" is Edo castle place.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kokyo

More simple thing watching Sumo,Kabuki,Rakugo and Hanabi(fireworks),too.

Recommend "edo-tokyo-museum" and more.
http://www.edo-tokyo-museum.or.jp/english/
http://edoshiseki.com/hakubutukan.html

Old Tokyo fired by US-Air force on "WW2(in 1945)" most
so now mordern building a lot just"scrap and built".
Search image and video "Bombing of Tokyo".
by Goemon (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread