Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Using a bike 2013/11/29 19:45
I'll be going to ICU this September, and I'm just wondering, how versatile are bikes in Tokyo? Can I pretty much get anywhere I need to on a bike? Also, this just just more out of curiosity, but are there bike lanes?
by PNGKale  

Re: Using a bike 2013/11/29 22:58
In Japan bikes come in more different sizes and variations than you've ever imagined. Tokyo is huge so I don't know what you mean by "anywhere I need to". In principle, yes. Parking your bike is a bigger issue, because you usually have to pay when you leave it somewhere (at a coin parking) for a few hours (although many people just leave them at the public parking lots of supermarkets, etc). Some streets (or pavements rather) have bike lanes, others don't, but you can bike everywhere regardless. The city isn't flat though, quite a lot of hills exist.
by AlexanderStankov rate this post as useful

Re: Using a bike 2013/11/30 08:19
You better to buy a bicycle while you study at ICU. ICU campus is relatively large so it worthwhile to move by bicycle within campus. And also it will reduce your transport costs.
You do need to register your bicycle unless you are unable to purchase. This will cost you 500 YEN for the registration. You do need to register your bicycle as to use in/out ICU. You are not allowed to park the bicycle inside ICU campus, otherwise the bicycle will be removed.
Just follow the other cyclist on streets. Need two locks(one front, one back) when you park your bicycle.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Using a bike 2013/11/30 16:39
Watch street view of google map first.

Around ICU(Mitaka city) flat road most
but not wide and intersection with signals a lot.
And in Tokyo Up/down area and must detour points(for wide car road) a lot.

http://www.city.mitaka.tokyo.jp/foreign/english/004/005.html
http://www.city.shinjuku.lg.jp/foreign/english/guide/seikatsu/seikatsu...
by inter8 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using a bike 2013/11/30 23:21
Ok, so this registration thing is new to me--I haven't heard of it before. Could you explain it?

Thanks
by PNGKale rate this post as useful

Re: Using a bike 2013/12/1 11:43
You register the bike in the shop you buy it from, or at the nearest police station. It's just some paperwork and they put a sticker on the bike.
by AlexanderStankov rate this post as useful

Re: Using a bike 2013/12/1 16:37
by Myobe (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread