Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Adopted, how to find birth record? 2013/12/3 17:26
I took on a project to help my daughter in law find her Japanese family. Her adopted parents gave only minimal information and don't want to cooperate at all.

So I have her Japanese name in English not Kanji, birth date, mothers name in English not kanji, she's born in Aomori City.

With this information is there any chance that we could get her birth records?

Thanks.

by 1alan1  

Re: Adopted, how to find birth record? 2013/12/4 10:53
Hi, I think the best way is to ask the staff from the City, where she was born. ;)
by SameMe (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Adopted, how to find birth record? 2013/12/4 11:06
Sadly I am in Afghanistan and my daughter in law is in Florida. I didn't want to spend 5 to 6 thousands dollars to ask a couple questions then have to leave because we didn't fill out the form correctly or sorry come back in two weeks.

I am hoping someone out there has had experience with the process to apply for there birth record.
by 1alan1 rate this post as useful

Re: Adopted, how to find birth record? 2013/12/4 14:09
by SameMe (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Adopted, how to find birth record? 2013/12/13 13:07
It seems this is coming down to the point of, she will have to fly there and and ask herself.

I am just trying to collect as much info as possible now just in case she has to fly there. I'm hoping for some kind of lucky break and find someone without flying her there.

Re: Adopted, how to find birth record? 2013/12/13 18:57
I'm not sure if I understand why you're talking about dollars and flying. Have you actually trying emailing or phoning the city hall in Aomori? Or perhaps a Japanese Embassy?

http://www.city.aomori.aomori.jp/
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Adopted, how to find birth record? 2013/12/13 20:57
My son already called the Japanese consulate in Atlanta and they said sorry can't help.
I am hoping someone has a tip that can help us out or some way to find her family without me spending a load of money to send her to ask around. To send 3
three people to japan is not cheap, me and the wife went last year and it was $3700 for us.

Re: Adopted, how to find birth record? 2013/12/14 23:58
Why didn't you ask when you were there?

Anyway, as the person linked above, you'd be better emailing the actual city hall in Aomori not the Japanese consulate in the US.

I'm not sure why you're panicking about flying there, surely the first thing to do would be email them and see what they say?
by JoJo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Adopted, how to find birth record? 2013/12/15 01:48
I just need to know the process on how the birth registry works. I will write a book trying to explain everything done already. Even though I am working in Afghanistan doesn't mean I want to spend 10 grand to fly them there and no idea what we are doing.

Re: Adopted, how to find birth record? 2013/12/15 15:22
I guess that the all records are concentrated in the permanent address(honseki). if the adoption was made regally, the record should be there.
If you have the complete information, i.e, full name(in Kanji), full permanent address (in Kanji), when they made the adoption, and mother's name(in kanji, may be preferable to confirm the data), you may be possible to get the record of the adopted person. (the adopted person must ask to get the offical record. that is the privacy protection policy in Japan.)
the informations you have are so little. probabley it is impossible to reach her record. I think the parents-in-low must have some documents written in Japanese and English, to prove the adoption.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Adopted, how to find birth record? 2013/12/15 22:01
Even though I am working in Afghanistan doesn't mean I want to spend 10 grand to fly them there and no idea what we are doing.

That exactly why I suggested emailing before you go.

Re: Adopted, how to find birth record? 2013/12/15 23:10
I am certain the adopted parents have the records otherwise she could have never left the country. However when I pushed them for the records they said well we already told her the names.
So we don't have the names in Kanji. It seems "Toki" may have a couple different spellings so to speak.
I am trying to get a job in Korea, so if I can I will have them fly there and poke around.
I just want to be sure I know how it works so we can have a specific plan to work from.
Thanks for the info..

Re: Adopted, how to find birth record? 2013/12/17 03:02
Okay, I'm missing something. Good luck, anyway.

reply to this thread