Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Gion Kobu Kaburenjo and Gion Corner 2013/12/15 22:58
For the spring season performance at Gion Kobu Kaburenjo, can anyone advise how many days in advance should I make a reservation if I am visiting in early April?

For the performance at Gion Corner, though I understand that reservations are not required, are reservations possible or recommended? Would the tickets be sold out during the sakura season?

Thanks.
by blueseven (guest)  

Re: Gion Kobu Kaburenjo and Gion Corner 2014/1/4 16:40
According to official wed site in English, they already started booking performance in April.
It says you need to make reservation by phone, but the most of the hotel in Kyoto can hep to make it for you.

http://www.miyako-odori.jp/english/index.html
by YKARL rate this post as useful

Re: Gion Kobu Kaburenjo and Gion Corner 2014/1/5 19:40
It can be hard to book the Miyako Odori from outside Japan as you need to make a telephone reservation. True, if you are staying in a hotel they will probably help to do this for you but the times I have been, I have stayed in hostels so that wasn't a possibility. The first year I went I got my Japanese teacher to telephone for me and book tickets on my behalf. However, when I went last year, I wasn't able to book tickets in advance but was able to purchase them directly from the theatre. I saw the Miyako Odori twice, the Kyo Odori twice (Miyagawacho hanamachi) and the Kitano Odori (Kamishichiken hanamachi). Each time I either booked the ticket on the day or a few days in advance by going to the theatre ticket office in the morning. There was no problem getting tickets as they hold some for each performance. I even sat on the front row twice and was two seats away from a Maiko who was also watching the performance on one of the days :) So, for peace of mind, if you can get someone to help you book before hand, do, but if you can't, I am sure you will be fine. The Miyako Odori in particular has several performances every day. As for Gion Corner, it isn't possible to book and you don't need to. Just make sure you turn up 1 hour before the performance to be near the front of the queue. There are two performances an evening in sakura season. You can usually print a discount ticket from the Gion Corner website that gives you money off: http://www.kyoto-gioncorner.com/global/en.html
Keep checking nearer the time. Enjoy your experience!
by Kikuya rate this post as useful

reply to this thread