Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Allergic to certain alcohol 2013/12/16 01:31
Hello everyone.

I would like to go to Japan one day. I have heard that there is a bit of the Japanese culture that involves alcohol, and my family on my father's side including my father is allergic to certain kinds of alcohol(i.e. beer, clear colored alcohol, etc). I also take medicine in which if alcohol is mixed with it, the effect of my medicine increases above the amount I am supposed to take. What should I do if I am offered alcohol that my family is allergic to? I hope to hear from others soon.
by Neruson  

Re: Allergic to certain alcohol 2013/12/16 11:56
Just refuse gently explaining that you have allergy. Many Japanese cannot drink or drinks very little, so it will not be unusual.
by himcia rate this post as useful

Re: Allergic to certain alcohol 2013/12/16 12:07
I would not worry. You just decline it, clearly telling them that you are allergic to it :) If you are invited to business dinners or some occasions like that, it would be polite to inform your host(s) in advance. There are many people in Japan who cannot drink alcohol, or at least don't enjoy it, and awareness for people's differing health conditions (and preferences) is on the rise.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Allergic to certain alcohol 2013/12/17 00:35
Thank you. I will do that when I am offered alcohol in Japan. It might be a few years before I am actually able to go to Japan as I am in the middle of a Bachelors in Computer Science, and I'm not sure if they will have an exchange program for Japan for the summer.
by Neruson rate this post as useful

Re: Allergic to certain alcohol 2013/12/17 03:01
Taking medicine already is one of the two most common excuses to decline alcohol, the other being driving. People simply say, "I'm taking medicine." or "I have to drive." and that would be it. It's even strictly against the law to even recommend alcohol to drivers.

No one wants to get involved in ambulance or police matters. Allergy and medicine are useful excuses.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Allergic to certain alcohol 2013/12/17 14:08
If you are allergic to alcohol, then it doesn't matter what the drink is - the alcohol is the same. If this is the case you should carry a bilingual medical warning in case of accident and medics try to use alcohol products on you.
It is more likely an intolerance or a reaction to other products in the drink. Medication interference and intolerance are certainly good excuses.
by Mr Shippy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread