Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Skincare/makeup hard to find in Japan? 2013/12/19 07:36
What are some beauty products that are widely available in the US, but not Japan?

I have a female penpal who is in her 20s. We are both beauty junkies and she recently sent me a little Christmas package with some beauty products from Japan that can't be found (or at least not easily found) in the US: DollyWink, Kiss Me Heroine, and even some Biore products that I can't find in any stores around me (and I live in a pretty big, popular city).

I was trying to think of some beauty products from the US that aren't too easily found in Japan, but I can't think of any. I use typical department store products like Maybelline and CoverGirl, but I also get some higher end products like Too Faced and Chanel. She says she's used all that stuff before so I really have no idea what to get. Any ideas?
by paulac (guest)  

Re: Skincare/makeup hard to find in Japan? 2013/12/20 10:24
Maybelline is actually fairly spendy here. I've paid 1,500 yen ($15) for a mascara that I would have paid $4-6 for at Wal-Mart! Also, it's not make-up, but Victoria's secret stuff is also really expensive. Things like the mini perfumes and body sprays, hand lotions, etc. Those would make great gifts, in my opinion. Also, Lancome and Clinique are sold here, but double to triple the price. I beg my family to send me stuff from those stores for Christmas and birthdays.
Also, if you're wanting something that's rare, I've never seen Burt's Bees products in Japan. I'd say most things from that section of Target stores with the Eco Tools, Sonia Kashuk and Yes to Carrots-type stuff would be lower-priced, but fair quality unique American products to send. I know I would be thrilled for any of those things. (^_^)
by atropheus (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Skincare/makeup hard to find in Japan? 2013/12/20 10:27
Also a side note to keep in mind, when you send a gift to Japan it must be under $100 in value or the receiver will get a bill for import taxes. Watch out! It's happened to me. Make sure you fill out the declaration form thoroughly.
by atropheus (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Skincare/makeup hard to find in Japan? 2013/12/21 08:26
How about Urban Decay? They probably carry it but very pricey compared to the US. Kat Von D too.
by yozakura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Skincare/makeup hard to find in Japan? 2013/12/22 16:00
The major US brands are usually carried in Japan but are double or triple in price compared to the US.

For skincare or makeup items that are hard to obtain in Japan, I would say brands like: Fresh, Philosophy, First Aid Beauty, Bliss, Peter Thomas Roth, Murad, Tarte, Cover FX, Illamasqua, Buxom, Lorac (all sold at Sephora)

For drugstore brands: Aveeno, Eucerin, Neutrogena (For Neutrogena they only have hand/body lotions and lip balms for this brand so anything outside of that), and Aquaphor (everyone I have given this to has loved it, I had to go back and buy a huge jar of the stuff) elf, Wet 'n' Wild, Almay, Hard Candy, Physicians Formula, Sonia Kashuk, Pixi Beauty, and Boots

On a side note, I usually stock up on toothpaste (Japan's toothpaste isn't as whitening or minty or 'good' imo and they don't carry any of the brands US carries except for Aquafresh) dental floss (really expensive for decent floss and not easy to find much variety), and Colgate wisps (cannot find them in Japan) so those might be interesting to send as well.

Hope this helps!
by TM (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Skincare/makeup hard to find in Japan? 2013/12/25 13:22
I always have a hard time finding matte eyeshadow, every eyeshadow is full of glittery and sparkly stuff.
Maybelline and other Western brands are pretty expensive too, so I have to be on the lookout for discounts :D
also, bright/dark colors in almost any makeup are hard to find, pastel colors are more common.
but other than that, it's really awesome. there are so many kinds of beauty products that I don't even know where to start looking.

p.s. It's not skincare/makeup, but hair dye also sucks. No permanent ones, just hair colors that fade in two weeks, and the colors are awfully boring.
by starshinedaydream (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread