Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese, Japan and a lifetime goal 2013/12/20 06:39
I am 24 living in the United States, and have had a long standing love for Japan.

My ultimate goal is to live in Japan and I am acting upon that goal.
Right now I am in the midst of self study Japanese but would like to find ways to further my learning, as it stands now my vocabulary and understanding of the language is at a beginner level.

I have been looking at things like the KCP International school of language. Wondering if I should take the spring course (Which the deadline is quickly approaching for that)

Does anyone here have opinions about that school by chance who could perhaps offer some insight?

One thing I have been learning is that if I wish to nail the language better, it would be best to be surrounded by it. I have been trying to come up with a way to stay in Japan on a relatively cost effect manner for 80 days or so which is roughly the maximum given time of an American tourist to stay for one period without a Visa.

I know many who have self taught Japanese, and I will absolutely continue my own studies in the mean time, but I would greatly like the chance to stay in Japan and learn the language through actually using it on a daily basis.

I just truly do not know a means one could accomplish such a thing as most hotels are not only expensive but do not usually let one stay for over 30 days to begin with.

Life has a different story for every person who walks, mine is no different. In my case I was not one who was able to attend a college/university.
During my 11th grade year of High school I took a serious blow to the head from an accident that had taken place.
I was pulled from my school and spent quite a bit of time to recover.

As soon as I recovered I began to study and shortly after went to take my General education test and obtained my G.E.D Diploma.
Around that time I also stepped into a Semi-Management position in my families Seafood industry and have worked with since on one of our local Military bases as we are contracted with them to sell in their grocery stores.

I had always worked for the company of my own choice since the Age of 13, but only during the summer and weekends.

That aside. The point I say this is because I know very well that is is difficult to obtain a Visa,job and permanent residence in Japan without college paperwork.
However, even so I wish to continue to work towards this goal.

I know reaching my goals will not be easy and I readily accept that because it is something I refuse to give up on.

I love Japan greatly along with the Japanese people and the wonderful culture Japan brings to our human existence.

My true question is, where do I go from here?

I will gladly take any information,guidance or wisdom that you all may have to offer and I thank you for taking time to give this a read.

The more resources I can look into the better I feel. I am not afraid of hard work.

by DaveH90  

Re: Japanese, Japan and a lifetime goal 2013/12/22 04:31
How about going on a vacation for a few weeks there first?
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese, Japan and a lifetime goal 2013/12/23 16:03
I agree that a short trip is absolutely necessary before your commit yourself to serious studies.
I am one of those that loved Japan from the get go, but then I travelled to foreign countries from the age of 14 on, and even worked in one for a whole summer and in another 2 years (for a company from my mother country that took care of my trips, housing and all)

Not to mention having a best friend that is Japanese. We must have watched hundreds of videos and movies by now...
As a matter of fact earlier today I dragged him through a heavy rain to see one of Ozu great movies.

I was raised in Europe, a place that has much in common with Japan. It may not be obvious at first glance, but both have lots of narrow streets going every which way, smallish houses, lots and lots of bikes, car-free shopping streets etc.
In big towns many people will use commuter trains, subways etc. Huge numbers, actually, at rush hours.

There is also a much greater sense of history in both places than in North America, with buildings and famous events going back over thousands of years.

You may like Japan at once, but you could also be totally disconcerted by the big contrast with the US.

by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese, Japan and a lifetime goal 2013/12/29 13:35
Not sure if GED qualifies you but you could consider an undergraduate degree at a college or university in Japan.
by lisa (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread