Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

UK and USA candy Japan doesn't have? 2013/12/27 06:24
I know this is a weird/stupid question...
But basically someone I know moved to Japan, and she said she misses uk candy, so want to send her some.
But I am not sure what they have, and what they don't have.

If anyone from the UK or even USA and Canada, who live in Japan could tell me some then I would be grateful!

Thanks for reading!
by Alexander2195  

Re: UK and USA candy Japan doesn't have? 2013/12/27 17:29
wouldn't it be better to ask her what kind of candy she misses?
by ed (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: UK and USA candy Japan doesn't have? 2013/12/27 18:01
Creme eggs
Crunchie bars
Fruit pastilles

by Bilbo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: UK and USA candy Japan doesn't have? 2013/12/27 18:47
Penguin, Bounty, Jaffa Cakejust for example...
by a cup of tea (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: UK and USA candy Japan doesn't have? 2013/12/27 18:55
I recommend asking her too. Maybe what she's missing is the familiar "sight" of sweets and candy sitting on shelves in front of her... and if she looks for them, some candies/sweets are indeed available in Japan, once she finds out where to look :) So better ask specifically what she's missing now.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: UK and USA candy Japan doesn't have? 2013/12/27 22:12
Funny, I just recently sent off a Canadian goodie box to my Japanese friend in Kamakura. I sent her the following below. When I visited Japan the 2nd time, I went to a bunch of convenience stores and checked out what chocolates and chips they had and so when I visited the 3rd time (which was May 2013), I'd give my friends chocolates that they couldn't find in Japan. I know for certain they don't have chocolate bars Mr. Big, Oh Henry, Wunderbar and the stuff below.

Chocolate
- Coffee Crisp
- Cadbury Mini Eggs
- Kit Kat Mint flavour
- Reese Peanut Butter Cups (I think they sold this in Japan for 1 year during 2012 and stopped, couldn't find any chocolate with peanut butter when I was in Japan last spring)

Potato Chips
- Old Dutch Creamy Dill
- Old Dutch Ketchup
- Hard Bite Wild Onion & Yoghurt

Other Stuff
- Excel chewing gum
- Maple Coffee
- Gourmet Peanut Butter (White Chocolate & Raspberry flavour)

by chatmax5 rate this post as useful

Re: UK and USA candy Japan doesn't have? 2013/12/28 00:25
In 7-11 I've noticed that they stock bars of Cadbury Dairy Milk and Cadbury Fruit & Nut.

However you can always also import sweet parcels either from friends or online stores.

http://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/shop.asp

http://www.britstore.co.uk/

The one problem with online stores though is the price of the items can be bit higher than what you'd expect in a place like ASDA.
by Kari Haruka rate this post as useful

Re: UK and USA candy Japan doesn't have? 2013/12/28 11:15
I have often sent chocolate / candy to a friend in Japan which they have been pleased with from the UK.

Off the top of my head some suggestions are:

Cadyburys Dairy Milk
Cadburys Wispa
Galaxy
Mars Bar
Twirl
Twix
Snickers
Cadburys Creme Eggs
Double Decker

Hope that helps!
by Oyaji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: UK and USA candy Japan doesn't have? 2013/12/29 21:20
What I always buy when I visit the UK are organic sweets and homemade sweets. Nowadays you can buy almost anything on-line, but among the things you can't buy are the things I mentioned.

Last year, I went to an organic food store in London and bought organic Christmas pudding and organic mulling spices to bring home to Japan. I used to buy cereal-bar type things but unfortunately I couldn't find tasty-looking ones upon my last visit.

English trifles are also something you can't find in Japan, probably because we already have something similar, like parfait. But parfait is not the same thing, so you might want to consider that too if you're making them fresh.

Dave from Saitama used to have great ideas. I wonder why he's not posting lately.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: UK and USA candy Japan doesn't have? 2014/1/7 15:47
If you are going to ship something from the UK to Japan, you should send something high quality to justify the shipping expense.

I would just use Amazon Prime and buy something from Ghiradelli or Lundt.

Although, they have a chocolate shop with Lundt chocolate truffles in Japan. One of my Japanese friends was able to buy some.
by JasonCreighton rate this post as useful

Be careful 2014/1/7 17:38
The cadbury products found in Japan often come from Australia and doesn't taste the same as the British stuff. Other brands are imported from other places and also may not taste the same. There are more types US "candy" available, but they are generally quite foul and it is hard to understand how the US became such a bunch of chubby-la-las considering their sweets are so disgusting.

Another option for your friend may be Seiyu shops - owned by Walmart, who also own Asda so you can get some Asda own brand UK style sweets there.

In general, even the import shops, carry very few UK style sweets so ordering for abroad or getting a friend to send a gift box is the only way. Be careful though, if you are sending stuff over for your friend from late spring/summer time. UK chocolate has a lower melting point than Japanese equivalents and melt at room temperature in the Japanese climate.
by Mr Shippy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread