Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

what do you get to eat for 10k yen a day? 2014/1/2 06:13
Hi,

i'd like to ask if 10,000 yen per day (breakfast, lunch and dinner) is a sufficient budget for food in Tokyo?

I wish to enjoy both street food and good sushi restaurants.

Thank you!
by TA2014 (guest)  

Re: what do you get to eat for 10k yen a day? 2014/1/2 09:21
10,000 yen is a very generous food budget for Tokyo. You will be able to eat anywhere except at high-end restaurants: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2410.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: what do you get to eat for 10k yen a day? 2014/1/2 10:34
Y1000 is generally enough for an average decent lunch, or Y2000 for something extra-deluxe. You can have very nice dinners in the Y4000-6000 range, including drinks, which means you can save some money for an extra-expensive high end restaurant every three or four days.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: what do you get to eat for 10k yen a day? 2014/1/2 21:08
that's enough to eat well for a week let alone a day
by takeda's ghost (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: what do you get to eat for 10k yen a day? 2014/1/3 06:11
By far the most expensive meal I ever had in Japan has been kaiseki in Kyoto, 8500 yen. The second most expensive was probably the jingisukan in Sapporo, some 3500 yen including beer and makgeolli. Apart from those two cases, I hardly ever paid more than 2000 yen for a meal, and quite often not even half of that.

Of course, if you want to, in Japan probably more than anywhere else the sky is the limit. But it's much easier to find cheap restaurants which are about everywhere, than those fancy, expensive places.
by WizardOfOss rate this post as useful

Re: what do you get to eat for 10k yen a day? 2014/1/3 07:35
We allow around 10000Y per day for 2 of us for everything except transport and hotels. You will be fine!
For breakfast, if not included in the hotel price (only occasionally do we have a hotel buffet), we go to a combini, and get onigiri, fruit and juice. 500Yen each tops.
For lunch, ramen and a beer is less than 1000Yen each: sandwiches and water from a conbini even much less.
Dinner then 2000-2500 tops for whatever: selections at an izakaya; sets at a restaurant near the hotel: stations have great restaurants with reasonably priced meals.
Once or twice a trip we will blow the budget and really splash out on something special: but you dont need to do it every day or every meal!!!!
Enjoy!
by fmj rate this post as useful

Re: what do you get to eat for 10k yen a day? 2014/1/3 09:07
More than enough. As a matter of fact, in Tokyo, many michelin star restaurants would have a lunch special for 3000-5000. So, in theory, you could even sneak in some ultra high end restaurants at lunch time, have a cafe breakfast for Y500 each, and then have a modest dinner.
by PlanJapan rate this post as useful

Re: what do you get to eat for 10k yen a day? 2014/1/3 09:09
Get a Michelin guide, or check TimeOut tokyo. That will give you an idea of prices in nice restaurant for lunch and dinner meals.
by PlanJapan rate this post as useful

Re: what do you get to eat for 10k yen a day? 2014/1/3 19:07
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2036.html

This very website has some excellent food pages....like the one linked above, which pretty much answers your question exactly.
by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: what do you get to eat for 10k yen a day? 2014/1/4 00:02
10K for 2 per day can cater for Yakitori (many sticks!) or Shabu Shabu coupled with sides like sushi and fried food. I usually have hotel breakfast or if I wake up late, I will have brunch like bentos from convini, udon set. They say eat like a king for breakfast, prince for lunch and pauper for dinner but I do the complete opposite!
by totoro (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread