Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Age to go dancing at a club? No drinking 2014/1/3 11:39
Hey guys! I'm visiting Japan this summer! Okay, so, I am female (not sure if that matters) and I would like to go see some nightclubs (and karaoke, OMG!) while I am there. I'm wondering if someone who is not of legal drinking age can enter an establishment if they serve alcohol? I don't want to drink, just dance, and I don't know if they have like, raves and stuff there. I do speak Japanese, and practice every day, so that's not an issue.

Also, if I cannot enter a nightclub, what sort of places do you recommend? Also, I don't know if they'd have this in Japan (Google does not help me sometimes. Internets are hard for me to use ._.), but are there any dancehalls or something of that sort that people under the legal drinking age can enter? Like, establishments JUST for dancing?

I just started two sentences with also. Gosh, I feel like my vocab needs some expansion. ANYHOW!

Thanks for answering 3!

OH! This is unrelated, but do any of y'all have experience in WWOOF stuff? In Japan?

I feel so ADD right now ¤_¤ OH LOOK SQUIRREL!
by Darian (guest)  

Re: Age to go dancing at a club? No drinking 2014/1/3 13:53
At nightclubs you have to be 20 to enter, period.
At karaoke boxes you don't need to be 20, many school boys/girls go there.
by Mauro (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Age to go dancing at a club? No drinking 2014/1/8 11:41
I have never heard of any clubs that don't serve Alcohol. Although many places don't check for ID, and the ones that do often only check during weekend events, you legally need to be 20 years old to go to a nightclub. In Japan, lots of club events are held at event spaces though, so sometimes there are events with different rules.

I don't know how common they are, but when I came to Tokyo during Summer 2009, there were 2 big events in Odaiba and Yokohama that allowed under 20s to enter. They checked everyone's IDs, and gave a wristband to people over 20. Only people with the wristbands were allowed to be served alcohol, and then everyone else was asked to leave at around 11pm. One of those events was a one off, and the other finished in 2010, so I don't know if they have any other events like that.

Some circle events also allow high school students, but you're unlikely to be able to go to a circle event unless you or a friend knows a member that can invite you.
by Umechan (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread