Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Rental Wifi or Simcard 2014/1/3 11:49
Hi there,

I will be travelling to Tokyo in early April 2014 for 9 days with my family members. I would like to get device connection during my trip. After reading numerous threads here and the websites of companies offering devices (Japan Wireless, Global Advanced Communications, Japan Mobile Rental, Rentafone & b-mobile)...the more I am confused and not sure which one (pocket wifi or prepard simcard or unlimited data simcard) is suitable for my needs. Hope to get some helps here.

My needs are to be able to check/reply emails, use WhatApps and internet for checking information while in Tokyo. I owned an iPad version 7.0.4 and Samsung Galaxy Note II GT-N7105

My concerns are:

(a) if I were to go for prepaid simcard which only gives 1GB, will that be enough for my usage through 9 days? Or should I get two prepaid simcards or unlimited data usage simcard instead?

(b) I would like to use my ipad for email purpose and serving internet while mobile phone for communicating with family members via WhatApps. Which recommended devices from which companies should I go for then? My family member will also be using WhatApps and internet from their mobile but not checking emails.

(c) Based on my family needs, is there other devices which are actually more suitable for us, other than pocket wifi and simcard?

Sorry for my looooong questions. Really appreciate if I get some helps and advices here.

Thank you!

by ttng  

Re: Rental Wifi or Simcard 2014/1/3 20:20
Unless you have the need to be constantly connected (I can't imagine that on a family holiday, but we're all in different circumstances), you're likely to find that there are enough free wifi spots that you can check and send a few mails easily, without bothering with renting a device.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Rental Wifi or Simcard 2014/1/4 01:07
(a) if I were to go for prepaid simcard which only gives 1GB, will that be enough for my usage through 9 days? Or should I get two prepaid simcards or unlimited data usage simcard instead?

1GB should be more than enough, unless you're going to consult lots of image-heavy websites. Earlier this year when I was studying in Italy I had 1GB per month, and with about the same usage as you, most of the time I didn't even spend it all.

(b) I would like to use my ipad for email purpose and serving internet while mobile phone for communicating with family members via WhatApps. Which recommended devices from which companies should I go for then? My family member will also be using WhatApps and internet from their mobile but not checking emails.

Do your iPad and your family members' phones have wifi? If so, you could turn your Note II into a WLAN hotspot, and share its internet connection with other devices. Android phones allow this (look under 'Settings/Wireless & Networks/Tethering' or something like that).
by Pirilampo rate this post as useful

Re: Rental Wifi or Simcard 2014/1/5 12:16
Hi Winter Visitor,

Thank you for your advice. I suppose to be always finding a free wifi spot may be time-consuming. I hope to be always connected in case of urgent emaila. Of course I will try to do that less...as you mentioned this is a family holiday :-)

Hi Pirilampo

Thank you for your advice. Yes I have learnt that mobile phone can actually serves as a hotspot for other devices to connect to. Am I right to say that I will be fine if I go for the 1GB prepard simcard for my mobile and that will allow my ipad and other family member's mobiles to be connected using my mobile hotspot? I suppose I have to look for prepaid simcard that allows tendering connection?
by ttng rate this post as useful

Re: Rental Wifi or Simcard 2014/1/6 08:05
In theory you should be fine, provided that none of you will be looking up videos on YouTube or something (it uses up a lot of traffic).

Just like you said, you should look into a prepaid sim card that allows tethering. If you or your relatives plan on using Skype or other VoIP services, look for a sim card that also allows streaming. Have a look at b-mobile's 1 GB prepaid sim: http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/.
by Pirilampo rate this post as useful

Re: Rental Wifi or Simcard 2014/1/8 12:02
Hi pirilampo,

Thank you for info. Likely we are using whatapps and serving internet for info only. Unlikely to use video streaming. Thank you for your advice!
by ttng rate this post as useful

Re: Rental Wifi or Simcard 2014/1/14 14:49
we will recommend renting a pocket wifi. With a pocket wifi, you can use it instantly without worrying any setup/change of simcard.

Since you may have an iPad, a Smartphone of yourself, plus other devices of your family members, everyone can share that pocket wifi and get online easily.

As you mentioned, there are many pocket wifi rental companies, we will recommend you rent those 75M type pocket wifi, supporting multiple device connection.

Have an enjoyable trip in Japan.
by Rentalwifi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Rental Wifi or Simcard 2014/1/14 22:31
i would suggest to go with the prepaid 1g card,
price to rent a sim,wifi or mobile are totally insane...

i used a b-mobile for 15 days and it works very well!
that card is the cheapest solution i have found...

or you can eventually check with your actually carrier if they have like roaming plan.
by robocoder rate this post as useful

Re: Rental Wifi or Simcard 2014/1/15 01:53
I wish I talked to you guy guys before I went to Japan last year. I rented a sims card from Softbank for 30days when I was visiting.

I wish Japan-Guide would do a study on this to see which is better for travelers who need GPS WIFI use only. Some of us are good at getting around and reading map so those people donft need GPS.

I agree with others, you don't need to check your e-mail or use your WhatApp unless youfre in a free WIFI area or you get back to your room unless youfre meeting someone at a location. One minute youfre using the e-mail only next thing youfre on the web than watching videos burning up data using.

Unless youfre like me, I wait until the very last minute when I arrive to my destination to book my room when Ifm arriving at train station to my location, which I did need the internet for this. But during my travel the percentage what I needed..
85% GPS to get around
10% last minute booking room and looking up info only
5% doing crap.

I found myself using the GPS 2 time a day 3 tops before my after finding out I can use the WIFI signal within the big cities to follow me to get to my location and save me some money.

Thanks Pirilampo for the link. You guys also help me out too, when I will be returning to Japan in 2014 winter I know what to go with. After robocoder also recommended it now I know I will go with it. With the pocket wifi I would still like to know more about it
by Seiko (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread