Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Are there earthquakes all around Japan? 2014/1/12 06:46
Which places or areas don't have any earthquakes?
by mangawill  

Re: Are there earthquakes all around Japan? 2014/1/12 10:31
Every single region of Japan (and the world) experiences earthquakes. But there are some regions of Japan that have a lower probability of strong earthquakes than others.

The following map shows the probability of a strong earthquake within the next 30 years. Orange and yellow areas are unlikely to experience very strong earthquakes:
http://img.allabout.co.jp/gm/article/25602/yosokuzu.jpg
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Are there earthquakes all around Japan? 2014/1/12 12:16
I've heard that little earthquakes are supposed to be so common people don't even stop what they're doing to notice it. But ironically I was in Japan for two months straight and never felt an earthquake lol.
by Arwen17 rate this post as useful

Re: Are there earthquakes all around Japan? 2014/1/12 17:53
I was born in Hiroshima, that region called "Chugoku" in Japanese has few earthquakes.
By the way, "Chugoku" in Japanese means "China" also, though two have no relation.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Are there earthquakes all around Japan? 2014/1/12 22:49
Which areas in Japan near Tokyo that i could live in which has small earthquakes?
by mangawill rate this post as useful

Re: Are there earthquakes all around Japan? 2014/1/13 02:52
Because i want to live in a City near Tokyo where there aren't much big earthquakes.

Re: Are there earthquakes all around Japan? 2014/1/13 05:29
There are no places close to Tokyo that can avoid a large earthquakes the whole area is overdue a large earthquake.
by LZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are there earthquakes all around Japan? 2014/1/13 07:44
Depends on your idea of "near". Gunma Prefecture is just 100 kilometers north of Tokyo (less than an hour by shinkansen). The probability of a major earthquake is very low (small ones we get all the time; medium ones once in a while), and the prefecture is luring businesses there with that argument. Did you take a look at the map I linked earlier?

Re: Are there earthquakes all around Japan? 2014/1/13 08:01
Yes. Thank you very much and to everyone here.

Re: Are there earthquakes all around Japan? 2014/1/13 09:05
Am looking for a place with small earthquakes so i can travel to Tokyo fast transport and live in a City outside of Tokyo also?

Re: Are there earthquakes all around Japan? 2014/1/13 11:58
To Mangawill- there is no such place. There are large and active fault lines to both the north, south and west of Tokyo, any of which could cause a catastrophic earthquake at any time. Tokyo was quite strongly shaken by the March 2011 earthquake despite being hundreds of kilometers from the epicentre, and areas hundreds of km from Tokyo will be shaken by any large earthquake in the Tokyo area.

The March 2011 earthquake also triggered damaging quakes in Shizuoka and Nagano which are both a fair distance from the epicentre in different directions.

Your safety in an earthquake will mostly depend on where you are, how you behave, and also luck. If earthquakes really concern you, then Japan is probably not the place for you.
by Tomicafan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are there earthquakes all around Japan? 2014/1/13 12:59
I'm afraid there is nowhere for you to run from the earthquakes.

As Arwen17 said, people living in Tokyo don't mind earthquakes around shindo-3.
Few may be in a fright at shindo-4.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Meteorological_Agency_seismic_inten...
By the way, the huge earthquake on March 11, 2011 was at shindo-5 upper in Tokyo. But infrastructures in Tokyo had very little damage by the earthquake.
Don't worry!
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Are there earthquakes all around Japan? 2014/1/13 15:19
There will be very little damage, injuries or even deaths unless it is a shindo 6+ or shindo 7. And the map that I linked shows the probability of a shindo 6- earthquake or stronger within the next 30 years. Indeed, there are many regions across Japan where a shindo 6-, i.e. damage or injury due to an earthquake, is very unlikely. Just look for the yellow and light orange zones.

Re: Are there earthquakes all around Japan? 2014/1/13 15:25
By the way: even if you experience a shindo 6+ or 7 earthquake, you are more likely to survive unharmed than to get injured.

Re: Are there earthquakes all around Japan? 2014/1/15 02:22
Hi. Uji what did you mean by shindo 6- do you mean + with the - after the six?

Re: Are there earthquakes all around Japan? 2014/1/15 07:43
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Are there earthquakes all around Japan? 2014/1/18 11:57
There are apps and sites where you can get alerts in the event of an earthquake. And in truth, earthquakes are extremely common in Japan particularly in the offshore island and eastern coast.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=space.works.quakealert
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread