Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to respond to an excellent chef 2014/1/14 07:12
I realize that tipping is non-standard, but is there any way to honor/praise an excellent chef as we might do here in the US? Often, the standard tip goes to the waiter and occasionally the maitre'di, but if the meal is particularly perfect, especially if dietary or taste preferences are requested when ordering, the chef can sometimes be praised/tipped in addition to the wait staff.

Is there any way to do that (tip or praise the chef) without offending? I would certainly not wish to see it backfire because I don't understand conventions and etiquette.

Thanks!
by jacecar  

Re: How to respond to an excellent chef 2014/1/14 11:15
Tipping is simply not done.

If the chef is the type that comes around to tables, you can praise him verbally. (Please do not call out the chef to the table - he would get worried that he's done something wrong.)

If not, upon leaving/paying, you can tell the server that it was excellent, express my gratitude to the chef, or it was excellent that you will come back/recommend to friends.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: How to respond to an excellent chef 2014/1/14 15:40
Say "Gochiso sama desita (thank you for very delicious meal)" & bow to the chef.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to respond to an excellent chef 2014/1/14 18:49
Just to add to the other posters, I try to be specific by telling the waiter what I liked about the meal. An excellent waiter would make sure your words are sent to the excellent chef ;)

By the way, if you cause any serious trouble such as accidentally ruining the table for some reason or have an ambulance called, I think it's common to descreatly tip the manager or the waiter in charge, even if it were in Japan. Otherwise, the only times I tip is when I ride a taxi.

If you're a young student, however, tipping of any kind will only make you look like a snob. Words and thank you cards are the best you can do.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to respond to an excellent chef 2014/1/15 01:28
Also, going to the same restaurant again would send the message that you are a satisfied customer.
by rent-a-cat (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread