Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Are flowers intrinsically feminine in Japan? 2014/1/16 16:25
I have read before that flowers are not necessarily considered to be feminine in Japan, but I haven't seen many instances of floral designs in clothes or living spaces of many Japanese men. Is this true? Am I just a dummy? Responses are appreciated!
by Muffins McGee  

Re: Are flowers intrinsically feminine in Japan? 2014/1/16 20:15
by ww (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are flowers intrinsically feminine in Japan? 2014/1/17 00:26
Well, presumably that answers my question. Though I can't see the picture you posted, I get the feeling it's more satirical than anything, heh.
by Muffins McGee rate this post as useful

Re: Are flowers intrinsically feminine in Japan? 2014/1/17 04:49
There are men that are Ikebana masters, others are florists, others are landscapers etc.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are flowers intrinsically feminine in Japan? 2014/1/17 15:32
Well, bouquets can be sent even to men, if that's what you mean.

As for clothing, like in any Western country, men do wear floral prints as well.

https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=%E3%83%A1%E3%83%B3%E3%82%BA+%E8%8A%B...
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are flowers intrinsically feminine in Japan? 2014/1/17 18:07
Humm...
It means that for example, many family crests of court nobles and the emblems of samurai's flags had flower motif...?
Today, yellow catalpa is the emblem of the Crown Prince and the chrysanthemum is the crest of the Imperial Family.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Seal_of_Japan
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Are flowers intrinsically feminine in Japan? 2014/1/17 21:01
There is no theoretical, philosophical or historical meaning of feminism, but while a man buys flower and decorate it in his room, that sounds feminine lot.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Are flowers intrinsically feminine in Japan? 2014/1/20 08:50
Have a look at some irezumi designs. A lot seem to feature flowers. I dont know the significance of that, though.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are flowers intrinsically feminine in Japan? 2014/1/23 23:24
There may be a slight association with women in certain cases (such as perfume), but it is not so strong or strange as in Western countries.

Cherry blossoms, for example, have been admired and loved not only by poets and priests but also by warriors and former rulers.

Ice cream on the other hand is something Japanese annoyingly consider "feminine" in spite of the fact that men also like it.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

reply to this thread