Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Canada Customs and Gift Shopping 2014/1/18 07:22
Seems there's more than a few Canadians on here, so I thought I'd ask this here.

I'm going back to Japan for a second time in May. Last year when I went, I read up on what you are allowed to bring back to Canada from Japan, and since I was staying longer than 7 days, I was allowed to bring back $800.00 CDN in goods duty-free aside from the usual restrictions on things like perfume, alcohol and tobacco.

This year, I have plans to shop for clothing for myself as I am closer to the size of the average woman in Japan, so my $800.00 allowance duty-free is already spoken for. However, I have friends who would like to send me with money, or a list of things to purchase for them to bring back. I don't mind doing this, but I am concerned about duty charges.

Last year, I went over my allotment by $300.00 CDN, I told them this on the little form you fill out on the flight on the way home from Tokyo, but I was never contacted about duty charges. I don't want to assume that this is going to happen a second time, and I also don't want to get stuck with the bill, or have to go back to the airport later in case they decide to confiscate my purchases because I brought too many things back.

(I'm also trying to find a nice way to explain to everyone that I'm not bringing back multiple bottles of sake, or a bunch of toys and clothes for everyone because it's just too expensive and it takes up all my vacation time as well. Proving harder than I thought because for every 1 person that I'd have no problem bringing something back for, there's another who wants just too much. :P)

Anyone have any experience with Canadian Customs after arrival in Canada?
by Amyranth (guest)  

Re: Canada Customs and Gift Shopping 2014/1/19 05:55
I'll start the ball rolling, hopping this will generates more answers.

I have never had troubles with Canadian customs re the $ amount of stuff brought back.
I usually don't buy much stuff anyway, as I am not the type. I buy cheap T-shirts, a few local architectural magazines etc.

A couple of times I was over the limit (in the days when it was much lower) with a suitcase full of books bought in Europe. The custom staff were nice and didn't charge me anything.

What I have experienced is strange questions from the immigration staff one first encounter, like "do you speak the language? no? then why go there? this is very unusual" and more questioning along that line. I was sorry for the people behind me that had to wait and wait..

I have never been asked these questions when arriving to other countries and have noticed that people coming back to Japan, the UK, Germany etc. whiz trough their immigration lines very quickly.

Well-off friends of mine that live in a posh area of our hometown went trough the same type of long questioning when coming back from Japan. I was waiting for them at the airport and thought that they had missed the flight!

As for gifts for friends, you MUST steel yourself. I am a man, mostly nice and fair, but friends and acquaintances know they can't push me around. If I buy them gifts it is small cheap yet interesting things.I don't accept orders from them....

When friends going on a trip ask me what type of gift I would like, I say "nothing". They usually bring me a couple of local papers and/or free magazines in English or French or tourist brochures .
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Canada Customs and Gift Shopping 2014/1/22 12:35
Thank you Red Frog! Your information was very helpful.

I'm getting better at saying no, so far I only have three people who are serious about giving me \ to buy something for them in Japan. I don't mind that so much, but I'm considering shipping the item back to Canada so that if there ARE customs charges, they have to pay them on receipt and it's out of my hands at that point.
by Amyranth rate this post as useful

Re: Canada Customs and Gift Shopping 2014/1/22 15:33
If you do decide to mail things back, I suggest using small packet SAL. It generally takes between 2-3 weeks but it's still fairly fast and one of the cheapest options (so much cheaper than Canada Post). There's no tracking but I've never had a problem using it to send numerous packages to Canada or America. And you can mark the box as a gift to avoid most if not all custom fees.
by Sage (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Canada Customs and Gift Shopping 2014/1/24 02:17
I've been to Japan 5 times and always brought back lots of goodies for myself and for others but the trick is to NOT take anybody's money and just say 'i'll do my best' but you shouldn't feel obligated to bring stuff back for people. You are not their mule! You are there to enjoy the scenery and ambience and it's lost if you are too worried about scoring that cutesy watch Linda wanted or those high heels boots that Judy wanted. Ulitmately, you are the one responsible for import fees, if any. Sticking to the $800 limit is a good plan, there is some risk after the $800 limit but if it's all for you then you shouldn't have a problem BUT the folks at customs have tough jobs, and every day they have different things to watch for. Sometimes, they are told to question everybody on the reason for their absence. Sometimes, they are told to send anyone who exceeds their customs allowance to the desk to account for the stuff they brought back. It is fairly random what they'll be looking for/asking about at the line-up (I have this on a reliable source). Bottom line: do you want to be held responsible for your pal Joan's bottles of sake? then just buy for yourself and travel with a clear conscience. ANd don't waster your time scouting a post office, you could better spend your time at a butler cafe! :)
by Grace (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Canada Customs and Gift Shopping 2014/1/24 02:39
Thank You Grace and Sage for your advice!

I'm definitely thinking about setting restrictions. Thankfully the handful of friends that I have asked explicitly for things are asking for stuff from the Pokemon Center, which I don't mind because I'll be there too for myself! (Oops! Just outed myself as a Trainer.)

The other person I don't mind buying for is my best friend. She is pregnant, and her little girl will be named Evelyn, or Evey for short. Hence the trip to the Pokemon Center in the first place!

I definitely have to just post something to my friends and say that I'm glad so many people are interested in my trip, but most of my luggage space is spoken for, and I can't run the risk of having items confiscated. I don't mind buying a large bottle of sake and sharing it with my friends, but you're right, I don't have time to run around shipping things to people either.

So, this butler cafe you speak of...? Where might a young lady find such things? XD
by Amyrath (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread