Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Conversely, US hair dryer in Japan? 2014/1/27 11:50
The similar question re: using a hair dryer from Japan in the US jogged my memory!

I have a high powered elchim hair dryer I plan on bringing on my cruise & week long stay afterward in Japan. I have very thick hair and the cheap hair dryers available on the cruise ship will take an hour to dry my hair & leave it looking frizzy.

We will be in Yokohama, Kobe, Hiroshima & then Tokyo on our trip. Is the hair dryer likely to work? I just don't want to ruin it since it is a fairly expensive one. We are likely staying in economy hotels our whole trip except for Sheraton in Hiroshima.
by Morumoto  

Re: Conversely, US hair dryer in Japan? 2014/1/27 13:00
We will be in Yokohama, Kobe, Hiroshima & then Tokyo on our trip. Is the hair dryer likely to work?

No, your hairdryer is not likely to work unless it is a universal input model. You can check the label on the device, if it says 100-240v input then you're good to go. Otherwise, it shouldn't be damaged by the lower voltage but probably will not heat up to the same levels in Japan as it would in the US. I'd consider buying a sufficiently powered travel hairdryer for your trip.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Conversely, US hair dryer in Japan? 2014/1/28 03:47
The problem is more of the motor speed in Yokohama. Northern half of Japan(including Yokohama, Tokyo, to Hokkaido) is 50Hz where as the southern half(Nagoya, Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima, to Kyushu is 60 Hz so it runs slower.
Try first the hotel provided amenity hair dryer.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Conversely, US hair dryer in Japan? 2014/1/28 10:40
I google elchim hair dryers. their electric consumption are 1800-2000W. In Japan, all plugs are designed as Max consumption of 1500W. I am afraid you may shut down the room circuit breaker.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Conversely, US hair dryer in Japan? 2014/2/22 13:31
Thank you for the replies - I just hate to rely on the hotel dryers since my hair is thick & usually they are not high powered. But better not blow out the circuits for the hotel room.
by Morumoto rate this post as useful

reply to this thread