Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Using ne at the end of the sentences 2014/1/29 01:13
Japanese use to often say "ね" ("ne") at the end of sentences.

In many grammar books or other Japanese lessons, it is said that "ne" corresponds to something like "isn't it?" in English.

The problem is: it seems like Japanese use "ne" very often and sometimes it doesn't seem like meaning "isn't it"...

Example of a conversation:

"Watashi ha Kyoto ni sunde iru.
-Kyoto ni sunde iru n'desu ne !"

"I live in Kyoto
-oh you live in Kyoto isn't it!"

The right translation of "ne" cannot be "isn't it" in this case.
Has "ne" a larger meaning than "isn't it" ??
by izquierda  

Re: Using ne at the end of the sentences 2014/1/29 08:42
In your example, the "ne" doee not mean "is'n it." I think the "ne" shows agreement.
by bluesky (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using ne at the end of the sentences 2014/1/29 12:35
I live in Kyoto
-oh you live in KYOTO !

just repeat the same words. confirmation and/or agreement. during saying these words, she/he is thinking the next words to communicate with you.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using ne at the end of the sentences 2014/1/31 08:39
In Japanese language the sound 'ne' is sometimes used at the end of a sentence to encourage your partner/listener to 'respond', in other words it's asking confirmation that you are listening!, usually responded with 'e', as in yes I'm litening or I understand what you are saying. It's also very polite to 'nod your head' during a conversation occassionally to show that you are listening/paying attention etc.
by Barrieaw rate this post as useful

Re: Using ne at the end of the sentences 2014/1/31 19:38
In your example, rather than "isn't it", it would be closer to say that "ne" means "don't you", i.e. You live in Kyoto, don't you! In English we have to change the verb and pronoun depending on the sentence, whereas in Japan all you need to use is "ne"- much simpler!
by Renya (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread