Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

most useful wedding gifts? 2014/2/6 23:18
Hello everyone!

For my wedding, a group of students I teach ( about 6) all chipped in to buy a Le Creuset, which we were delighted with ! We have known these ladies for quite a while.
Now, one of them is getting married and I have been looking at a nice gift to get by myself, but am stuck.
(We have not been invited to the wedding, by the way.)

I thought a pair of high quality rice bowls and matching tea cups would be a fine gift, but then it is quite likely they will already have something similar.

A pair of nice chopsticks? but it's quite a personal thing. Of all the chopsticks we have been given over the years, we always use the same pair!

Towels are nice essentials but kind of boring and soon wear out / fade etc.

The one thing I have seen was a set of different small dishes, presumably for side dishes, pickles etc. This was beautiful, different colours and materials, ceramics and glass, about 5 or 6 small dishes in total.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them!
or equally welcome, which were your favourite wedding gifts?/ most useful?

Thanks!

blossom

by blossom (guest)  

Re: most useful wedding gifts? 2014/2/7 15:18
I don't think that wedding gifts necessarily need to be "useful." On the contrary, most of the gifts I received decades ago were meant to be "something special."

At least you're right about the towels. They're nice, but wear out, and in Japan they are often used as gifts for a bit more of an everyday occasion such as greetings when moving in to the neighborhood or as gifts in return.

If it were for the bridegroom, I wouldn't recommend tea cups, but perhaps a large plate instead. But as a woman, I truly adore the fancy cups that various friends had given me.

It's a luxury for a woman to keep fancy dishware in her cupboard. Just looking at them reminds me of the senders who prefered each design, and when I use them it's another luxury to think, "Hey, I have the luxury to sit and relax for this!"

The same thing can be said for the bowls and chopsticks. It's when you have friends or family over that you use them, which makes them even more special.

In that sense, I would rather send something like a set of five dishware rather than a "pair." Something from a bunch of friends that is meant to be used for a bunch of friends would be great. So I really do like your idea of the set of different small dishes. Makes you want to throw a home party which is something that newlyweds would often do.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread