Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Attending a wedding in Japan 2014/2/10 16:25
Hi. I'd like to ask what should i wear to a friend's wedding? My good friend, the groom, is a Japanese and he invited me to his wedding in Tokyo. If i wear a Furisode would it be too extravagant? What should my boyfriend wear too? Also, what colors should we wear/avoid ?

Very much thanks in advance.
by Cathy (guest)  

Re: Attending a wedding in Japan 2014/2/10 18:18
Furisode is the most typicall outfit for an unmarried woman (hopefully young) to wear to her friend's wedding, even with a boyfriend. If it's a furisode, you can't go wrong with colors and designs.

A boyfriend's outfit that suits furisode is a tuxido.

This is also for reference. The circles mean "good" and the crosses mean "bad."
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Attending a wedding in Japan 2014/2/11 05:45
It can be accepted to wear Furisode if you are single person, normally wear Homongi type Kimono if you are married.

White color is for bride, so it better not wear white kimono or dress on wedding attendance.
This is because, people die on wedding and reborn after the wedding and start new life. This is also can be seen on funeral as people die, they wear white cloth, so that white formal costume is something very special.

For men, they normally wear black suit with white tie and black shoes. A black tie is for funeral so don't use black tie on weddings.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Attending a wedding in Japan 2014/2/11 11:23
you can google [結婚式] or [結婚式 服装] in pictures[画像].
these are recent costumes in wedding parties.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Attending a wedding in Japan 2014/2/11 16:58
Oh I see! Thanks all! Btw, If I do decide to not wear a furisode, instead I do wear a dress, are there any particular rules? ie : must not reveal my back / shoulder. knee length dress etc.

Thanks again.
by Cathy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Attending a wedding in Japan 2014/2/11 18:15
Whoops, sorry, I forgot to post the link.
http://dress-cons.com/contents/bridal.php

Yes, as you can see on the link, bare shoulders, accessories that are too flashy, purely white dress, bare feet/legs are not appropriate.

By the way, I can't imagine a furisode or homongi that is purely white :)
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread