Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tipping volunteer guides at Edo Tokyo M? 2014/2/13 02:00
Hello,

my family reserved a volunteer guide at the Edo Tokyo museum. On the website I learned that these guides are completely free. We appreciate it very much that people volunteer as guides to walk tourists through the exhibition. Since tipping seems to be a delicate matter in Japan, I was wondering what would be appropriate to show our appreciation (money, or maybe an omiyage from abroad)?

Are the guides foreigners or Japanese, or is it mixed? (I suppose it's easier to tip a (western) foreigner. :P)
by KyneX (guest)  

Re: Tipping volunteer guides at Edo Tokyo M? 2014/2/13 11:55
Hi,
Maybe there are the aged Japanese guides.

Although saying "Thank you so much" is enough,
if you strongly want to give something, omiyage from abroad is good.
To show your appreciation, good omiyage is not expensive and not bulky.
BTW, giving money may be considered as insolence in Japan.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Tipping volunteer guides at Edo Tokyo M? 2014/2/13 13:48
You could invite the guide for coffee and a snack or meal
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tipping volunteer guides at Edo Tokyo M? 2014/2/13 17:33
Seeing people show interest can be the most rewarding thing for volunteer guides in museums.

Respond to explanations. Ask questions. Mostly, have fun! Those responses would make them most happy.

I suppose you can give them small gifts from home. Some might have a collection of those on their mantel.

I'm not so sure about inviting them for coffee, though. They can be busier than you'd think, and I'm sure you are too. But it can be a nice gesture.

Of course, if you're talking about guides that guide you around town, a coffee break would be nice, but this is about people who stay in a museum.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tipping volunteer guides at Edo Tokyo M? 2014/2/17 08:56
Tips will offend most volunteers and offer of coffee/meal is too imposing. Just thank her/him sincerely.
by Tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tipping volunteer guides at Edo Tokyo M? 2014/2/17 11:33
I would agree that asking them out to coffee would be an imposition, and they'd have to think of some way to politely decline. And obviously don't try to give them money - that would be extremely rude.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

reply to this thread