Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Pregnant girlfriend in Japan I'm in Australia 2014/2/19 18:20
I read through a lot of different pregnancy situations and didn't come across this particular case.

I'd like some advice here so thanks for reading.

I'm Australian, over 30, and my Japanese girlfriend is very much pregnant. The child is due in July and we're planning on marrying before then, in Japan. I'm now in Australia, my girlfriend just flew back to Japan.

I'm very nervous about entering Japan this time on a tourist visa as I have been twice within the last year, staying 2 months each time. I travel with musical instruments which has caused problems in other countries, scarring me for life!

If I'm questioned about the purpose of my visit, would it be a no-no to say I'm there to propose to my pregnant girlfriend? Or should I go with the 'visiting friends' line, which is the safest but might not cut it on a 3rd visit in a year.

Would love to hear any options anyone can suggest.

Thanks!
by Minorharp (guest)  

Re: Pregnant girlfriend in Japan I'm in Australia 2014/2/19 19:07
If you've entered Japan twice in the past year, 2 months each time, that should still be OK. The question arises when the total number of months you stay in Japan in any 12-months period exceeds 6 months. (So if you do something like come once, stay full 3 months, then come back again in a month to stay another 3 months, then the next time you are likely to get a lot of questions.)

Musical instruments - I assume you are talking about customs in a certain country in Europe? I would not worry about that - it is more that depending on how conspicuous your musical instruments are, Immigration might ask if you plan to play professionally in Japan, implying you are trying to work in Japan while on Temporary Visitor (tourist) status.

"Visiting friends" would be fine. I mean, even if you say pregnant girlfriend, there is nothing they can do to stop you coming in, but no need to give more specifics than needed. I (ever) pressed, you can say your girlfriend, which in Immigration's eyes would explain your frequent visit, but since you are just "visiting" for a relatively short period of time, they will assume you have your work/earn livelihood elsewhere, and just coming as often as possible to be with her.
by AK (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Pregnant girlfriend in Japan I'm in Australia 2014/2/19 20:30
If you don't want to marry her why not just not go to Japan? Now that she is there she will have support networks to help her with the baby and you can move on with your life as you wish. Maybe this is a win - win scenario all around?
by Best man (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Pregnant girlfriend in Japan I'm in Australia 2014/2/19 21:36
The OP is not saying that he does not want to marry his girlfreind.
He is just worried about immigration inspection when entering Japan.

However, I wonder why he expressed her(or their) child as "The child".
by k (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Pregnant girlfriend in Japan I'm in Australia 2014/2/19 21:53
Thanks for the replies

It's definitely a win-win situation if I make it to Japan as soon as possible for the marriage we both want and the birth of our child.

I've heard of cases where people are refused entry into countries for saying they are there to visit a girlfriend or boyfriend, as the authorities fear they will stay and try to live and work. I guess I was hoping to hear from someone who has gone through this before, surely someone out there. I just found out it is possible to marry legally in Japan without even being there, having the celebration later...so that is a surprise option all of a sudden. Soooo much to read
by Minorharp (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Pregnant girlfriend in Japan I'm in Australia 2014/2/20 10:35
I've heard of cases where people are refused entry into countries for saying they are there to visit a girlfriend or boyfriend, as the authorities fear they will stay and try to live and work. I guess I was hoping to hear from someone who has gone through this before, surely someone out there.

I've had no issues when asked about my purpose of visits and answered, "to visit GF and family." We're now married;)

Just say to visit friends.

Congrats.

Will you be moving there to live eventually?
by jin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Pregnant girlfriend in Japan I'm in Australia 2014/2/20 19:16
I wouldn't be able to help you out with your situation but I can definitely wish you the best of luck.

You'll be right mate

-Michael from Sydney
by 14394 rate this post as useful

Re: Pregnant girlfriend in Japan I'm in Australia 2014/2/21 00:41
i dont know what could scar you for life about traveling with instruments..

anyway the limit is 6months out of the last 365 days so you're safe

just tell them honestly and they'll be happy to hear your story

go for it
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

Re: Pregnant girlfriend in Japan I'm in Australia 2014/2/25 10:39
My girl was pregnant, and I had her move to US to stay with me until the baby is born. This way the baby can have dual citizenship.
by Evolicious76 rate this post as useful

Re: Pregnant girlfriend in Japan I'm in Australia 2014/2/25 17:40
To the last poster, just fyi, but if you are a US citizen then your children don't need to be born in the US to become citizens. They get it automatically.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Pregnant girlfriend in Japan I'm in Australia 2014/2/26 13:15
True to that point, but just less paperwork.

Re: Pregnant girlfriend in Japan I'm in Australia 2014/2/26 14:03
Yes, less paperwork, but likely far more expensive to have the baby in the US even excluding airfare. Of course this is all academic though, being together is far more important.

Re: Pregnant girlfriend in Japan I'm in Australia 2014/2/27 15:39
my girl give baby in LA, and i only paid over $2000.00, i got her the state insurance and they paid for the rest.

Re: Pregnant girlfriend in Japan I'm in Australia 2014/2/27 16:48
Actually that's not bad at all, only about 2-3 times as expensive as giving birth in Japan. In many cases it can be quite a bit more.

Re: Pregnant girlfriend in Japan I'm in Australia 2014/2/28 09:08
I think giving birth in Japan can cost from $5000.00 or over $15,000.00 depends on which hospital you go to. And birth is not covered by the goverment insurance.

Re: Pregnant girlfriend in Japan I'm in Australia 2014/2/28 09:58
A regular birth only costs a few thousand dollars depending on the hospital. We had one at one of the more expensive places in our prefecture, which cost about $4000. Cheaper clinics around us were more like $2000-3000.

Indeed, regular childbirth costs are not covered by national health insurance (although c-section are covered), BUT they do give you a childbirth allowance of 420,000 yen, so in the end you end up making money on the birth.

reply to this thread