Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Selling Photos 2014/2/19 22:29
Hi,
I've searched and searched on Japan's commercial photography laws, finding little in English. I have taken pictures of the Great Daibatsu, Tokyo Tower, etc. (I would be selling framed photos, greeting cards, etc that I took without a tripod)

I have been learning about American photo rights and they vary so much.

I did get an email back from the Okinawa Aquarium that since it's a state park - photos taken cannot be sold.

Real advice please. Thank you.
by mishkuu (guest)  

Re: Selling Photos 2014/2/21 00:45
from a realistic perspective, if you live outside of japan you can sell just about anything you want because most of the japanese companies will not have any legal rights outside of japan.

that being said, photography law is very strict in japan and in cases where people are in the photo, the laws are completely bizarre and arbitrary, with judges basically randomly deciding the outcome of a case.

if you take a photo of a privately owned property you are required to get permission before you sell the work.

consider bringing release forms with you if you're that worried about it.

personally i just snap away and transfer the copyright of my photos to an offshore entity which has more intelligently thought out photography laws.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread