Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Carrying a katana for a photoshoot 2014/2/21 11:10
Hi, I have a question regarding carrying and using a katana replica for a photoshoot session. I know there is the Swords and Firearms Control Law, but I am not sure if it applies for a fake sword. Anybody knows something about it?
by William (guest)  

Re: Carrying a katana for a photoshoot 2014/2/21 12:55
Hello,
Although I'm not a cosplayer,
I heard it's OK if it has no power to kill and wound and it's covered with sheath.
But of course, to swing or unsheathe it in the crowd may be in breach of the Minor Offense Act or something.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Carrying a katana for a photoshoot 2014/2/21 13:31
Yes it's against the sword and firearms control law.
If you buy it as a souvenir, it should be kept in a safety holder or something equivalent but it will be against the law if you carry without proper holder(kept inside and sealed) and display in public places.
Nobody knows the sword is real or fake other than you so you can be arrested then.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Carrying a katana for a photoshoot 2014/2/22 21:22
tokyo friend 48 is 100% correct. NO argument.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Carrying a katana for a photoshoot 2014/2/22 22:41
if it is a mogitou and it is within its saya and inside a standard sports bag (rectangular bag that conceals the curved shape of the sword) you'll have no problem.

it is very important that the sword is made of zinc and not steel. if it's steel you can be arrested if the police bother you, and police do randomly bother foreigners so beware.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread