Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Pocket WiFi rental for a year? 2014/2/22 23:35
Hello all!

I am planning on heading back over to Japan for a year, but this time I really don't want to deal with a phone contract. So, I know you can rent pocket WiFis, but can you rent one for a year's time?

Any information (or suggestions of who to go to) would be appreciated!
by Kaesha  

Re: Pocket WiFi rental for a year? 2014/2/23 15:08
I don't think it's a good idea to rent a pocket wifi for a year. It's about $100 a month! How about using a prepaid sim card with simlock-free devices.

I recommend this prepaid sim card(1GB/3980YEN)
http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/index.html
by kazz1972 rate this post as useful

Re: Pocket WiFi rental for a year? 2014/2/23 21:40
GlobalAdvancedComm has a new link on their page for long term stayers:

http://www.letinternetjp.com/en/index.html

(linked from: http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html)
by Lisa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Pocket WiFi rental for a year? 2014/2/24 10:49
Yes, normal pocket wifi rental would be prohibitively expensive. The global advance offering looks pretty reasonable, and although its not the fastest service it should be good for regular internet things. Unfortunately they don't go into detail on the service so its a little hard to compare with other offerings. Note that it is possible to go cheaper with some of the bmobile plans if you already have a device that supports tethering and you don't need a lot of data.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Pocket WiFi rental for a year? 2014/2/24 15:10
Hi, again
GlobalAdvancedComm seems far better than b-mobile.
You have to use GlobalAdvancedComm at least 4 months. But as you're going to stay in Japan for a year, then there'll be no problem.

Re: Pocket WiFi rental for a year? 2014/2/24 17:44
GlobalAdvancedComm seems far better than b-mobile.

I think that's had to state without knowing the OPs use case.

Re: Pocket WiFi rental for a year? 2014/2/25 06:40
This may be interesting
(need some technical knowledge)
http://service.ocn.ne.jp/english/mobile/one/

Re: Pocket WiFi rental for a year? 2014/2/25 16:45
why don't you just get wifi device from soft bank? it'll cheaper and 4G service.
by Evolicious76 rate this post as useful

Re: Pocket WiFi rental for a year? 2014/2/25 17:42
The OP might not qualify for the contract service if their visa isn't long enough.

Re: Pocket WiFi rental for a year? 2014/2/25 22:56
Thanks for the input everyone!

A contract is for two years so I really don't want to have to pay the cancellation fee (I studied abroad last year and ended up doing that and was unbelievably annoyed).

I don't mind paying a little more a month. I wouldn't have to buy a phone since I could use skype and whatnot for calls on my iPhone; in the end a pocket wifi would be cheaper.
by Kaesha rate this post as useful

Re: Pocket WiFi rental for a year? 2014/2/26 12:59
pocket wifi for one year? how much will that be? I pay $35.00 a month for my soft bank wifi device, and with a 2 year contract, I still end up paying cheaper and with faster connection everywhere I go. and I get up to 4GB to spend.
by Evolicious76 rate this post as useful

Re: Pocket WiFi rental for a year? 2014/2/26 13:56
A contract is for two years so I really don't want to have to pay the cancellation fee (I studied abroad last year and ended up doing that and was unbelievably annoyed).

The main problem with contract plans, is that you might find it difficult to get a plan in the first place. Some outlets won't set up contracts with you unless your visa spans the length of the contract.

reply to this thread