Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ne vs Yone? 2014/2/27 07:43
I've read many pages on this question, but I still don't get the difference between ね and よね. When do I use each one? What tone do they create?

Thanks
by alexg94  

Re: Ne vs Yone? 2014/2/28 06:43
tl;dr: よね is basically a kinder, gentler よ. You use it instead of just よ when you want to soften it a bit and sound less assertive.

Normally, よ and ね are contradictory. よ implies that the speaker is asserting something which the hearer doesn't know, or could even be contradicting something the hearer said just before. So よ is strong, it's like "that's how it is, I'm telling you". ね implies the exact opposite: the speaker is stating something which the hearer already knows, so ね is a lot less assertive, more like "that's how it is, right?"

So よね is used to soften よ. First there's よ, which makes an assertion, but it is followed by ね, which makes it softer because you then ask for the hearer's agreement.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ne vs Yone? 2014/2/28 07:49
Thanks!
by alexg94 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread