Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Baby name 2014/2/28 15:13
Hoping for native Japanese people to reply but anyone is welcome to add to it!

I am due soon with my baby boy and he will be half Japanese with our intention being living in Japan. In thinking about names we considered our hopes and dreams for our baby and chose names with kanji that we felt reflected that.

After saying I like the name Jin and keeping in mind I wanted a strong kanji, my Japanese mother in law told me we can use the kanji (辰)for Jin. I instantly loved it and my husband thought it was perfect too.

My only concern is that it is a rare kanji for Jin. Both my husband and I have not come across it before and we know he will likely be referred to as Tatsu when his name is first read. His name also had another reading that he was often mistaken for but he said it never worried him.

Basically what do you all think. Is it a nice name? Do you think my boy will be bothered by his kanji having a more common reading? and finally is it a bit of a キラキラ name?

Thanks all in advance!
by Guest (guest)  

Re: Baby name 2014/2/28 17:35
Great!
辰 is commonly pronounced as Shin or Tatsu.
Yes, Jin is a rare pronunciation, but not so funny because there is a large variety of pronunciation for Japanese name.
辰 is a bit old-fashioned Kanji, maybe it looks like someone who lived in the Edo period and of course the Kanji clearly reminds the year of dragon.
But it's never regarded as KiraKira name.
And Jin is never strange for male name.
I think it's nice.

By the way, if you love Jin, 仁 is the one that is pronounced as Jin, it means benevolence, humanity and so on.
All boys of the Imperial Family are named this Kanji, it's pronounced Hito though.
For example, he name of the emperor is 明仁(Akihito) and the name of the Crown Prince is 徳仁(Naruhito). We Japanese never call them by thier personal name though.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Baby name 2014/2/28 18:23
It normally (辰) refers as Tstsu. This is because lots of people choose and call it as Tstsu.
You can call (辰) as "Jin". I don't think this is a Kira-Kira name but at public places such as medical clinic or hospital even at school, it may called "Tstsu" because of above reason.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Baby name 2014/2/28 18:46
thank you both for your replies. It has helped me relax a lot about the name and now i can just look forward to his birth.

I didn't know that about the Emperor's family name though! I never made the connection with all of the Hito parts to the name. I am quite curious about this now, thank you for the information :)
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Baby name 2014/3/4 17:00
"Jin" doesn't relate to imperial names, but "仁" is and then which is called "hito".
Letter "辰" is called "shin" or "tatsu".
I've never heard "jin" to be honest.
So he will be always called "Shin".
Personally I'll choose letters for my child's name which are read correctly by everyone.
by y.g. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Baby name 2014/3/5 07:03
Thank you for your input. I am aware of the more common readings but I was under the impression tatsu was more common than Shin. But Jin is definitely a reading of this kanji.

As for choosing a character that is always read correctly, that is always going to be a problem in Japan. My partners name has multiple readings and he has a more common kanji name. He doesn't mind the occasional need to correct it. My name is more complicated because of the pronunciation, despite being an English name. It's not a burden. My parents chose a name with their thoughts and feelings behind it. Jin's name was chosen after much discussion and our hopes for him represented.

Honestly I feel like we have made our decision. My Japanese friends and family love it. But most of all I love it and my partner loves it.

But I asked for opinions so thank you for your comment.
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread