Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Crime and Deportation Question 2014/3/5 11:24
I was convicted of a crime in Japan, but was released. I was not officially ever deported nor did I attend an immigration hearing. I was given an 18 month suspended sentence and left 3 days after I was released. How do I know what my immigration status is? What if I go to Japan, what would happen? Thanks in advance.
by Chris2015  

Re: Crime and Deportation Question 2014/3/5 14:30
depends on the crime, what did you do?
by winterwolf (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Crime and Deportation Question 2014/3/5 21:49
Your criminal records are kept in the Immigration Bureau forever.
You are unable to check the record nor the status. Once your suspension is over then you are legally free but the records remain forever.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Crime and Deportation Question 2014/3/6 00:54
I was caught trying to bring marijuana into Japan. A very small amount (14 grams)
by Chris2015 rate this post as useful

Re: Crime and Deportation Question 2014/3/6 17:17
I was caught trying to bring marijuana into Japan. A very small amount (14 grams)

You didn't feel that was an important piece of information you should mention when you first asked the question? So when did it happen? I believe it took something like 10 years before Paul McCartney was taken off the immigration blacklist and allowed back into Japan, so maybe that's a good rule of thumb to bear in mind before you start thinking about flying to Japan again.
by Green Frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Crime and Deportation Question 2014/3/10 04:44
importing drugs is usually a permaban from Japan, you'll likely be denied entry forever unless you receive a pardon.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

Re: Crime and Deportation Question 2014/3/10 04:46
that being said, if they did not deport you, and if you have no black stamp in your passport, you should ask the consulate to check if you're able to get a visa or not.

do not trust what the clerk tells you without having them actually confirm it. the clerks in consulate/embassy windows are usually full of crap. you need to actually confirm with immigration whether or not they'll let you in at the airport.

by winterwolf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread