Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

dera means temple? 2014/3/9 16:28
I see references to "Kiyomizu Temple", "Kiyomizudera Temple", and "Kiyomizudera". I assume they are all referring to one temple. Is that correct?
by lalainec2003  

Re: dera means temple? 2014/3/9 19:18
Your right. They are all the same temple. Temples often finish with a dera, ji, do or in for their names.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: dera means temple? 2014/3/9 19:59
"Kiyomizu-dera" is formed by joining "Kiyomizu" and "tera." And yes, "tera" means temple, and can be used on its own. Ž› is the kanji, and it is pronounced "tera" (when on its own), "dera" (in compound nouns, which I will explain below), or "ji."

When a name of place/proper noun comes before the "tera" and the two words are joined together, the "-tera" changes to "-dera."

The reason why those different expressions are used to refer to the same place is because Japanese people would naturally say "Kiyomizudera," and KNOW that this is a temple name. But since it is not apparent to non-Japanese speakers, someone decided to add "Temple" after it and say "Kiyomizudera Temple." And maybe someone else said, hey, the "temple" = "-dera" is redundant, so it should be Kiyomizu Temple :) All are used.
by AK (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: dera means temple? 2014/3/11 18:44
Thanks AK and mfedley.
by lalainec2003 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread