Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

electricity in Japan 2014/3/18 02:44
I read that Japan is 100V and NA is 120V. What kind of adapter do I need to buy if I wanted to charge my phone/laptop?
by Darren B  

Re: electricity in Japan 2014/3/18 08:18
Check the adapters you already have, most (but not all) accept anything ranging from 100 tot 240V.

As for plugs, Japan uses the same as the USA.
by WizardOfOss rate this post as useful

Re: electricity in Japan 2014/3/18 10:03
You will have no problem with voltage but plugs are not exactly the same. If your laptop has the common 3 prong plug you will need a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter as Japan does not use the grounding pin.
by ed (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: electricity in Japan 2014/3/18 13:38
Yeah I know my phone is a 2 prong, so that would work fine? How can I confirm this?

Also yeah my laptop is a 3 prong. Do I need to buy any specific adapter or is any fine?
by Darren B rate this post as useful

Re: electricity in Japan 2014/3/18 13:42
Ah actually to make it light on myself I might just swap my laptop for my ipad instead. Since both chargers work fine it seems like the easiest.
by Darren B rate this post as useful

Re: electricity in Japan 2014/3/18 13:44
Yeah I know my phone is a 2 prong, so that would work fine? How can I confirm this?

There will be a label on the charger that specifies the input voltage.

Also yeah my laptop is a 3 prong. Do I need to buy any specific adapter or is any fine?

Nothing specific. Just a standard 3 to 2 prong adapter. Non-polarized plugs if available as it will be a little more compatible with older buildings.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: electricity in Japan 2014/3/18 18:52
All my electronic chargers (laptop, camera) worked in Japan despite not being rated for only 100V. They either said 110 or 120 V, I forgot which.
by fatgermanbloke rate this post as useful

reply to this thread