Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Do they accept banknotes with scribble on it? 2014/3/18 04:11
Hello,

I'm going to Japan next week, and in my country it's common to write numbers or put stamps on banknotes.So most of the currencies in circulation are written on it,
Also it's impossible to found Yen's here, so I was wondering if I would have trouble exanging them once arriving at Narita.

Thank you for your answers.
by Panonymus1986 (guest)  

Re: Do they accept banknotes with scribble on it? 2014/3/18 09:05
Japan really prefers clean bills. I think your best bet would be to go to your bank and see if they could find/exchange some new bills for your old ones, preferably ones that are clean. This way you don't have to worry, and can get yen when you get to Japan without issue.

Otherwise, unless the bills are extremely damaged, I don't think you will have too much of a problem, but I've found it pays to think ahead in this country and to not make assumptions. Try to find clean bills; if you absolutely can't, there's not much you can do. You may consider pulling cash out of an ATM as you need it instead of exchanging a lot of it as well.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Do they accept banknotes with scribble on it? 2014/3/18 15:24
Thank you for your answer. I'll just go to the bank today to see if they have "clean" notes in stocks, if yes, it's good. If no, i'll just do like you tell me. (even if it's gonna be expensive on the change, but if it's the only option. :) )
Thanks. :)
by Panonymus1986 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Do they accept banknotes with scribble on it? 2014/3/19 10:21
Your bank should have no problem exchanging money one-to-one. If they charge you for that, go to a different bank!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Do they accept banknotes with scribble on it? 2014/3/19 10:27
Thanks.
I went to the bank and they exchanged all the notes for cleans one at no additional cost.
It's really great.
Thank you.
by Panonymus1986 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread