Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Australian Woolworths travel sim 2014/3/18 21:35
Hi,

We are going to Japan in September this year for around about 30 days and I am starting to look around for a SIM card to use. I am just wondering if anyone has used the newish Woolworths travel sim and if it's any good for Japan or if there is a better one that someone could recommend.

We mainly will be using it to call/text between ourselves if we separate or to look up maps when we get lost or don't have wifi access. The phones we are taking are iphone 5s and a galaxy s2.

Thanks in advance.
by Pixie Trouble  

Re: Australian Woolworths travel sim 2014/3/24 15:50
I used the woolies travel sim when I went Xmas 2012 used it for mostly data and to message happy new year I loaded 200 on it still came back with credit when I was there in April 2012 I used a roaming sim and the credit disappears really quick I would highly recommend the Woolworth's travel sim, worked find in my iPhone 4s at the time
by Dan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Australian Woolworths travel sim 2014/3/29 13:43
Thanks Dan.

Did you have any issues with coverage at all? I used softbank on my last 2 trips, I was on a student visa so I could get a plan first time, then I hired a phone but the charges were awful, I haven't had much to do with docomo.
by Pixie Trouble rate this post as useful

Re: Australian Woolworths travel sim 2014/3/31 05:25
Hi Pixie

I did get the occasional switch between SoftBank and docomo but it wasn't something that stopped me using the data the previous roaming sim though was a. Nightmare where I lost reception totally for about 3 days and money was being chewed you will be fine with the woolies card. Docomo is Japan's largest network plenty of coverage in the major cities

Re: Australian Woolworths travel sim 2014/3/31 05:27
Forgot to mention when it switches to SoftBank the charges are higher can't remember exactly how much but it was a lot higher to use on that network, you can set the network in your settings to stay on docomo but might lose reception in blackspots

Re: Australian Woolworths travel sim 2014/3/31 19:27
Just note that the Woolies travel sim can potentially be very expensive if you are a heavy data user. 90c/MB or $900+ for 1G on DoCoMo, much worse on alternatives. In that case you would be better off hiring a WiFi router.
by allrite rate this post as useful

reply to this thread