Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

USA Canon Powershot 2014/4/4 09:43
Hi all,
I have a Canon Powershot Charger that I would like to take to Japan.
It has 2 prongs on back. Also says,
Input: 100V-240V AC 50/60Hz
Output: 4.2V - 0.41A
Will this work in Japan?

I looked on the back of the user guide and it says, "Contact your Canon dealer for information about plug adapter for overseas use."

I've gone on their website and on Amazon and cannot find anything about a plug adapter..

Thanks for the help!
by Shogun26  

Re: USA Canon Powershot 2014/4/4 17:03
Will this work in Japan?
YES.
voltage of Japan is 100V AC 50or60Hz.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: USA Canon Powershot 2014/4/4 20:28
The outlets in Japan are just like the ones in Illinois, except they aren't grounded, they are polarized. So if you have a 3-prong plug, you should get a 3to2 adapter. They sell them at Home Depot for less than $1.50.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: USA Canon Powershot 2014/4/5 07:28
Thank you for clarification.

This board has been so helpful w my trip planning.
by Shogun26 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: USA Canon Powershot 2014/5/10 01:48
Because the prongs in japan are polarized and the US are not, if I have a 2 prong plug do I still need to buy a two prong plug adapter for japan?
by shogun26 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: USA Canon Powershot 2014/5/10 13:06
Actually, the outlets aren't polarized. Both slots are the same length.
by Plugs (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: USA Canon Powershot 2014/5/11 01:29
lovely, thank you very much.
by Shogun26 rate this post as useful

Re: USA Canon Powershot 2014/5/12 06:03
Forget what Plugs said. The outlets in Japan are polarized, meaning one prong is longer in length than the other. I'm looking at one right now here at a Toyoko Inn in Hiroshima.

If you come from the States, then just go to Home Depot (shameless plug, no pun intended) and get a 3 to 2 adapter for less than a buck if you have a grounded plug.

If not, then I've noticed most two-prong plugs have the length of the plugs exactly the same, so you'll have no issue plugging anything in the outlet.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: USA Canon Powershot 2014/5/12 07:40
thanks john b diggs!

Re: USA Canon Powershot 2014/5/12 07:50
sent you a private message john.

Re: USA Canon Powershot 2014/5/12 11:34
FYI, polarized plugs vary in blade height, not length. Like this:

http://www.whatsontheare.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/building-desig...

Newer buildings in Japan have polarized outlets, however you may run into situations in older buildings, such as historic ryokan, with old style outlets that may not fit newer polarized plugs. Shouldn't be a problem with your canon powershot battery charger though, as I believe those generally have unpolarized plugs to make them more universal. You should visually check the plug to be sure though.

Btw, the situation is very similar with polarized outlets in the US. Newer buildings have them but older buildings may have not been retrofitted.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: USA Canon Powershot 2014/5/12 14:46
No doubt it will surely work
by clinton20 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread