Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Why are prepaid cards so useless? 2014/4/5 10:15
Hello, a lot of prepaid cards here in Japan advertise online shopping, but don't even work for MOST online stores.

They never set up your address... So when I want to buy some software or international goods (from back home or whatnot), I can't buy them... Because when I go to buy something, it needs a billing address, but most cards never seem to set that up, only giving you the card number, expiration date and security number.

Are there any prepaid cards that actually let you buy online goods from ANY STORE (like steam for example, gotta have my games).
by Joshken  

Re: Why are prepaid cards so useless? 2014/4/8 10:39
Which prepaid cards are you referring to? Japanese prepaid credit cards? And you want to use them with US online stores?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Why are prepaid cards so useless? 2014/4/8 10:59
I'm not trying to by stuff from the US. I'm trying to buy software, that you download. Steam may be a US based company, but it even serves Japanese gamers, and gamers all around the world, so it's not a US only entity. I've already applied for a debit card with my bank, so hopefully I'll get that very soon.
by Joshken rate this post as useful

Re: Why are prepaid cards so useless? 2014/4/8 11:50
So why don't you contact Steam customer support and ask them why your cards don't work?
by daai maou (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Why are prepaid cards so useless? 2014/4/8 11:52
I know why they don't work, because they need billing address verification... and most prepaid cards don't verify your address. They are more like giftcards, not prepaid visa cards.
by Joshken rate this post as useful

Re: Why are prepaid cards so useless? 2014/4/8 14:25
I'm not trying to by stuff from the US. I'm trying to buy software, that you download.

Sorry, I'm just trying to clarify because it wasn't clear in your original question.

I know why they don't work, because they need billing address verification... and most prepaid cards don't verify your address. They are more like giftcards, not prepaid visa cards.

You still haven't indicated what prepaid cards you're having trouble with so its pretty hard to help you with that specific problem. My suggestion would be to apply for a regular credit card/debit card, which seems to be what you did, but I wanted to clarify because using "prepaid cards" implies to me either you couldn't get a credit card or didn't want to wait for one.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Why are prepaid cards so useless? 2014/4/9 13:13
Check the fine print. There may be a website to register the card to a name and address.
by ecookman rate this post as useful

reply to this thread