Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

People disappearing on Naver Line app 2014/4/7 10:58
Why is it when you meet people on here that send you a request first on LINE suddenly disappear and never talk to you anymore? A few times I have spoken to someone and they messaged me first asking if we can be friends. I said sure. We talked for many weeks and then all of a sudden they never respond or bother to read my last sent message to them.

Is it possible they deleted the LINE app from their phone or they just never read it? When I call these people that do this, the phone just continues to ring non-stop until it says there was no answer on the other end. Does they mean they are deleted from their LINE app on their phone or maybe blocked me?

Any experienced LINE users can explain this to me? Sometimes I don't understand how LINE app works in these situations. I'm a fairly new user. Please help me understand.
by RikaMika (guest)  

Re: People disappearing on Naver Line app 2014/4/8 01:45
It's really hard to say. It could be either four things.

1. The person deleted you
2. The person blocked you
3. The person deleted their line app from their phone
4. Ignoring you or busy

Because if the person deleted their actual account they wouldn't be on your friends list anymore. Those are the only four options. It's not easy to really give a straight answer because line isn't made in a way where you can know the answer to your question. Whereas on skype you can tell if you've been blocked and the same for facebook. Line isn't like that. It's such secrecy and I think it was made in that way for a reason.

Sorry I couldn't be much help. Maybe someone else on here can give you a better answer.
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: People disappearing on Naver Line app 2014/4/8 01:49
When I'm busy I don't read my messages or answer voice calls. Idk if it shows up I "READ" their message if I only view the pop-up notification and not click "view" to actually read it. Does anyone know if you read ONLY the notification pop-up will it be "READ" for them or will it not say "read" until you actually view the message?

Anyways, I agree with Kim. Those are the only reasons I would say could be the answer.
by Aurora Rae (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: People disappearing on Naver Line app 2014/4/8 01:54
Curtsy of line FAQ's

" *If you send a message from the popup window, the message that you replied to will be displayed as Read on the receiverfs chat room "

That basically means if you send a message to a person while your pop up notification is up it will be seen as read to the receiver. However, if you don't reply, then it won't be read. I hope that helps.

To answer your question the person probably just hasn't read the message and are busy
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: People disappearing on Naver Line app 2014/4/8 01:58
*courtesy

I forgot to add that in case they aren't busy then it could mean they just deleted their account. But there is no way of knowing that. Sometimes I have a friend that won't read his messages for a long time (weeks or even long as months) and then suddenly he will respond back. Maybe not all the time it will mean they deleted. It could be meaning they are busy or just don't feel like responding.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: People disappearing on Naver Line app 2014/4/8 02:03
You forgot to add John that depending on the other personfs phone the "read" signs may be shown when the person has received notification of your message, and therefore it does not necessarily mean that the person has read your message.

Now I think maybe in your case RikaMika that the person may either blocked you or deleted the app. I think the latter is more possible than being blocked.
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: People disappearing on Naver Line app 2014/4/8 02:07
You should test it. If you know the person's id then you should ask someone else to add that person and see if they respond back to them. If the people not responding to you respond back to the other person then you'll have your answer =) But if they don't respond then maybe they are busy or deleted their app without deleted their account first.

It's risking and really over the top crazy to do, but if you are that curious I say go for it. You have nothing to lose. Maybe the person thinking your crazy...haha, but that's why its risking.
by Wander (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: People disappearing on Naver Line app 2014/4/8 02:10
I'm Japanese guy and sometimes many japanese people can be busy or suddenly lose interest in foreign friends for different reasons, poor english and not enough time to translate because it is tiresome, lack of interest, and many other reasons. i think your japanese friends could be busy or bored talking with you...and found other people more interesting for them. not all japanese are like that but there are some that are
by Naota (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: People disappearing on Naver Line app 2014/4/8 02:17
LMFAO @ Wander's response!!!

That could lose you a friend if you tried it and I wouldn't do it if I were you. But if you're that desperate then by all means do what you want. Cause I had a friend that tried that. That person made two line accounts using two different phones to see why their girlfriend stopped responding to them. His gf responded to the other account && he wasn't too pleased by that and blew his cover cause he was angry at her. It confused her and she did feel bad for being caught but she avoided him like the plague because of what he did. They did the Japanese way of breaking up and stopped all communication with each other for a long time until he contacted her months later to apologize && they are slowly trying to work things out between them now.

Unless you want to risk friendships I wouldn't try this. The person may freak out and run away from you. Most japanese people man and female don't like confrontation and when confronted with it they run like the wind and don't look back.
by @Onsler (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: People disappearing on Naver Line app 2014/4/10 15:32
naota's got it right

you are probably boring and they don't want to talk to you anymore, and they're probably tired of using english to do it

japanese people are usually not interested in talking about culture differences, anime, manga, or whatever other nonsense most western people want to talk about.
by winterwolf (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: People disappearing on Naver Line app 2014/4/14 00:50
So what do Japanese people wish to talk about? Sometimes it is difficult to keep thinking up topics when little information is divulged from the other side about their own preference/hobbies. Any hints (even generalizations) would be welcome. Thanks.
by beginnergo2003 rate this post as useful

Re: People disappearing on Naver Line app 2014/4/24 17:16
This is why I'm very reluctant to give people my LINE ID from the start. (Plus, you can't completely delete a person anyway; only block and hide). I'd rather talk to them via this site first and see how we gel. If the conversation fizzles out then so be it but usually after a while, you can gather who's genuine and who's gonna be a bit of a time waster.
by Jemineye rate this post as useful

Re: People disappearing on Naver Line app 2014/4/30 22:27
Its not Line, its the people.
by Seiko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: People disappearing on Naver Line app 2014/5/5 11:45
winterwolf, I am curious as to what Japanese people like to talk about as well.

I am not interested in anime/manga. I am interested in cultural differences, but I do not openly talk about it. That's more of a thing where I find out for myself through everyday life.

Most of my communication with Japanese has been through work so it is very much work related. The few Japanese friends I have talk about... whatever comes to mind. The TV show they saw last night. Where they want to go out to eat. What their significant other did to annoy them. Etc. Seems like conversation topics I would have with just about anyone I am friends with.

But now that I have more time on my hands, I would like to know general/good conversation topics for meeting new Japanese friends.
by texasjoker (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread