Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 25

1 2
next

cutting hair 2004/11/8 11:32
What should say in japanese if I want to cut a trendy hairstyle which is suitable to my face?

Is it rude to say ikura desuka to ask for price of the service?

What are the proper ways to say.

Oh on! =(
by Libby  

Hair beware 2004/11/8 12:29
Japanese hair is different from foreign hair so you have to go to someone that knows your kind of hair well. If you are in a big city you should be able to one if not an actual gaijin stylist.
They will thin it out too much! I suggest having a friend do it if you are in the country. I've been doing mine by myself for years and it looks good. That's mostly because I'm a guy and don't want my forhead shaved.
by Jevon rate this post as useful

Beware of the scissors 2004/11/8 16:59
The Japanese hairstylists are VERY scissor-happy. After living in Japan for 3 years, I finally decided to give the Japanese hair salon a try, and the result was somewhat disastrous.

The first time, I gave strict instructions as to cut it exactly the way my hair is now, but shorter, and absolutely no layering. The outcome was satisfactory. So a couple of months later, I went back for another cut. This time I thought I'd give the hairstylist some freedom, but when he finished, I was left with only about 1/3 of the hair I had. That was in May, and I am still trying to grow my hair out to a cuttable volume. What a nightmare!
by Lynn rate this post as useful

Libby 2004/11/9 10:01
If you insist on going to a Japanese hair salon, just say "tekitou ni ni-a-u hairstyle ni shite kudasai. (Please just cut it in any style that suits me)"

But I think it will help the hairstylist if you can explain a specific style in mind, such as with a photo. You can also ask for "hair katalogu."

Every hair salon has a price list right outside the entrance. I wouldn't go to one that doesn't have it. But they're often written in Japanese, so you can ask the clerk "ikura desuka?" and they'll ask if you need "cut" or "perma" or if you need "shampoo" or not.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Thanks 2004/11/9 10:17
Thanks...
Hope result is not too disastrous
by Libby rate this post as useful

Scissor happy 2004/11/9 20:35
True, they do tend to like their scissors. I went just over a week ago, and I left it up to him to do whatever he wanted. He cut off and inch, but left about half my hair on the floor! Luckily for me, I have very, very thick, wavy hair, so it turned out to a cute, just-above-the-shoulder look, which I love. So, just be careful if you have thin hair.
by Ciata rate this post as useful

I just want to know 2004/12/13 01:50
I Just want to know that what price does hair cut in Japan is around? How much is it, only for haircut?..Thanx!
by Nancy rate this post as useful

hair 2004/12/13 04:33
Never had any problem getting a good haircut in Japan. I've had a lot of bad skill problems in the US.
Infact best haircut I had was in Japan. I get a haircut there every chance I get which isn't often enough.
Best places for Gaijin would be in the hotel salon or the shop. Their skills are versatile and usually experienced in dealing with foreigners. Some can speak English if you can't speak Japanese.
by cc rate this post as useful

okane 2004/12/13 05:24
Maybe you should say--- "ikura ni narimasuka?" if you want to know how much it'll cost. Generally they have the price list posted.
Oh no? I would never say that but you can start by saying---"sumimasen" (excuse me)
by cc rate this post as useful

... 2004/12/13 07:41
It looks like I've got very "fine" hair for a Japanese that a hairdresser back in London was somewhat surprised to feel this kind of hair... but even with this "thin" hair, I've had no problem with hairdressers in Japan at all, the ones in London gave it slight layering and it was pretty OK, I had trouble maybe once in US but not here.

If you find a hair salon that you think you might try, just walk in, and ask "sumimasen, shanpuu to katto de ikura ni narimasuka?" then they will tell you or point at a price on the list they have :) Bring with you a photograph of some hairstyle you like, they might just try that, or if you ask "niaisou na hea sutairu wo sagashite kuremasu ka?" (would you find me a hair style that you think might suit me?) the hairstylist might sit down with you with the hair stylist catalogue and see if you like any of them.

The price range... it starts from 1,000 yen quick-cut only place, regular hair salons probably do a cut for 3,500, 4,500, something like that.
by AK rate this post as useful

i actually have a question too... 2006/7/7 15:01
I'm going to tokyo next week and i was also wondering where i would find a "hotel salon or shop" to get a haircut. also AK posted: "niaisou na hea sutairu wo sagashite kuremasu ka?" um, i was wondering if anyone could show me how you would say that by separating the syllables? cuz i'm not sure if i'm saying that right. i'm sorry i don't know much japanese... =S
by Dahlia rate this post as useful

salon in Nagasaki/Sasebo/Fukuoka? 2006/8/2 10:43
Does anyone know a good salon in Nagasaki, Sasebo or Fukuoka that has stylists that know how to cut Caucasian hair? Preferably Aveda, Davines, Bumble and Bumble or Pureology Products. I have a client who had her hair cut in Japan and it was hacked at. She needs a decently priced salon that can cut all types of hair.
by Beth rate this post as useful

normal cost of hair cut in yokohama 2006/8/20 16:14
i am visiting japan in yokohama city what is the cost of normal hair cut in USD
by sachin ghule rate this post as useful

haircut 2006/8/20 16:42
Sachin,

It depends what you mean by "normal". I normally get my hair cut at QB House, which you can also find in Yokohama, and it costs 1,000 yen. I don't think you'll find anywhere cheaper than that, and "proper" hairdressers may charge 3,000 or more for the full works.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

hw to say in japanese 2007/7/13 13:23
hello!!

How to say in japanese, that 1. i want to cut my hair short and no shampoo
2. cut more short

Thanks,
Prasad
by Prasad rate this post as useful

Help! 2007/8/14 13:33
I`m in Yokohama right now and want to get my hair styled. Where would be a good place to go? I`m a gaijin so I need someplace that speaks English [since I`ll be going when my japanese friend is working] & is good with foreign hair.
by Kate rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/14 20:09
Type in "hair salon" and a list will pop up.

English OK!
http://www.englishok.jp/
by J Lady rate this post as useful

cutting hair 2007/9/4 14:03
I think a trendy hairstyle in Japan is different from foreign trendy hairstyle.
Because suitable hairstyle for Japanese or foreign is different.
You should check your countryfs hair magazines.

It isnft rude that you see price of cutting hair.
There is salon where teach you price before cutting hair.
I suggest you research on internet the salon you like there.
by pis rate this post as useful

Well... 2007/9/4 14:49
I would say you can bring a piece of your favourite magazine that has a hair style you want to choose. Hairdressers know lots of trendy hairstyles and you can talk with the hairdresser before cutting your hair. It is not rude to ask how much it will cost.
by Sarah rate this post as useful

highlights 2007/9/24 06:37
i have a Q, do hairstylists make a highlights in japan? i'm going to live in japan for a year, and every three months i have to go to hairdresser to dye hair which has grown.i'm dark blonde with golden blonde highlights.or maybe someone know address of hairdresser where they have a cosmetics/paints for caucasian hair?
by Eve rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 25

1 2
next

reply to this thread